I hate when this happens...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

D8Chumley

Minister of Fire
Jun 25, 2013
Collegeville PA
009.JPG
Came home this afternoon after a lot of rain and somewhat windy to find this. I guess it could have been worse

Don't feel bad, I would bet it's happened to all of us....except me of course!;lol

Reactions: D8Chumley
At least the kids or dogs weren't near that when it fell. I'm bummed as I made sure that stack looked nicer and a straight face since it's facing the house and will for 2 years at least

Do you think it was the wind? Or was it an erosion of soil under the front edge due to rain?
I wonder how the wind would blow the one row and not the next???

You don't have mischievous neighborhood kids do ya?

Actually, it looks like it would season quite well laying just as it is.;lol:p

I just stacked it this week. Not sure, agreed with the other stack not falling. I'll find out when I tear it apart to restack it. The ground was frozen maybe the 62 degrees today and the rain was just enough to make it lean

Last edited:
You got it right Chumley, stacking on frozen ground and then it thaws. Happens to us all.
Sorry. No harm to anybody:)

I've had that happen, it sucks. Now when I stack multiple rows together I run a pieces of my old 1" web rock climbing slings through it, nailing it into a piece in each row. If it gets unstable the row behind should help hold it together. I also am a bit anal about getting the pallets level and firm to begin with. I have a bunch of old warehouse pallet rack metal that I use as stringers under the pallets so I'm on a solid base to start. I wish I took more of that metal when it was available, it is the schnitz for getting flat stable rows and extra air under the stack. The other trick that I do is to wrap a piece of old garden fence around the ends and staple it to the sides, thus preventing it from coming apart. It also serves as a tarp tie down. The latest cube is about 8' high and holding strong. I am a bit afraid of what would happen if a youngster decided it would be a fun thing to climb, cause I certainly would have when I was a kid.

Do you think it was the wind? Or was it an erosion of soil under the front edge due to rain? I wonder how the wind would blow the one row and not the next???

For sure the work of the 'Wood Curmudgeons'! I hates them little guys!

That stack is about 5 1/2' high. Probably my fault as I was keeping the face flush (aesthetics) but I shook it several times as I built it and it felt stable. It will be stepped back when I fix it and maybe tied into the other pile like Paul Bunion suggested. It will NOT fall over again ;)

There is a good 8" gap between the two piles. That's how I stacked my other piles, leaning into each other at the top and that's how this one will be tomorrow when I'm done. Like my previous post said it's my fault for trying to make it pretty with a flush face. Splits are all around 22" give or take and it felt stable. Aaahhhh well

Thanks velvetfoot. Not a big deal really, I just hate doing things twice. I could have put that time into splitting more tomorrow

Yeah. I've stacked in the dark after work with just a headlamp. Things did not turn out that great :(

There is a good 8" gap between the two piles. That's how I stacked my other piles, leaning into each other at the top and that's how this one will be tomorrow when I'm done. Like my previous post said it's my fault for trying to make it pretty with a flush face. Splits are all around 22" give or take and it felt stable. Aaahhhh well

I don't think my sling trick will work if you gap them. The slings work on adjacent stacks because it ties them tightly together. Then there is some friction and interlocking holding them together. With the gap I think a failing stack would potentially be able to pull the other over like dominoes. Leaning them in and against each other at the top seems like the thing to do if you want the gap. I have more wood than space so I stack them tight and cube them up.

I'll figure something out, like I said I won't be stacking it again haha! I have an idea I'm going to try in addition to leaning into the other pile. Sitting here thinking about it while the Seahawks stomp the Saints
EDIT: Right now space isn't an issue, I have plenty of room

they make a nice pattern when they fall...

Man down! That stinks. Worst part is you gotta move it all before you can start restacking. Yes I also have experience in this department.

My dogs knocked one stack over the other day. They're in hot pursuit of field mice. I wasn't happy, but, but I've got one dog who's used to chasing deer at any cost to life and limb, and since this wood is in the fenced yard, I'm glad she got her ya-ya's out. I got it put back together right as the rain started. As long as we're all smiling and panting around here, things are good.

Shat happens. To the best of them.
Restack it and take the free exercise.

The last time I had that happen 3/4 of the row was also missing, dang light fingered wood fairies.

Status
Not open for further replies.