I hate when this happens...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate it when that happens.

Stacking is the red-headed stepchild of firewood processing. It's bad enough the first time but even worse the second. When a stack falls you have to move it before you start the restack. I've been there and feel your pain.

The bright side is no one was near it when it fell. I be two boys aged 3 and 5. My worst nightmare is a stack of firewood fell on them. They know the worst thing they can do outside is play near the firewood.

Last edited:
I just got done with my exercise haha. Apparently one of the skids in the middle was not up to the task. I have some old 2x8s from our old deck I cut and used to fill the hole and ran one the leading edge of the new stack so it leans back nicely now and ties into the back pile about 2 courses down from the top. Not as pretty but crossed fingers it will stay. And my beautiful wife even came out and helped! She said if it falls again it can stay there :)

On the bright side, you had wicked air exposure between the splits! _g

yup, had one keel over this summer....just picked it up and put it in the shed. won't fall over in there ;lol

Yeah, that bites. I had a stack partially fall twice last year... both times after or during a heavy rain. I could be wrong, just thinkin'... rain makes the wood slick and the loss of friction causes an avalanche.

The SheWolf suggested some turrets or cross stacking within the rows. Said that's how her Daddy stacked firewood and his stacks never fell over. I tried it and it helped a lot.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Status
Not open for further replies.