I may get to build a fire!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jackofalltrades

Hearth Supporter
Nov 5, 2010
North MS
If the weather holds up to expectations, it looks like I will get to build my first fire of the season sometime the first of next week! I am excited. I know a lot of you have been burning a while, but I always look forward to starting that first fire of the season.

I too am looking fwd to this weekend or first of the week, hoping for the first fire. We have resisted the urge to start one in the evening. Even though we would have liked one to get a few degrees warmer in the room for watching TV anything more than just a kindling fire would have run us out!!

Hang on guys. Dave, up in Alaska has assured us he has sent some cold air down. Looks like several folks around here will be seeing some white real soon too.

Reactions: ScotO
sporadic burning in Mass, like you mentioned. The first fire was nice to have, it's always a good feeling to light up the first one of the year, as if all the work you have put into this has finally come around again...I hear ya

I have burnt almost a cord "full cord, not face cord" so far. Started burning a little over a month ago, last few weeks has been almost 24/7, so far mostly smaller fires not full out.

Its looking like I may be building my first one this weekend...might have to open a window, but what the hell... I am not going to turn the heat on so we will see how cool it gets in the house...

Shoulder season is upon us; been burning for about a week...low 40s to high 30s at nite, only up to 50s during the day. Although I must say that we've been a little on the warm side inside, 78-80deg :cool:

Been burning here and there for about a month.

I have burnt almost a cord "full cord, not face cord" so far. Started burning a little over a month ago, last few weeks has been almost 24/7, so far mostly smaller fires not full out.

Wow! A cord already. That says you will be burning many, many cords before the winter is done. Winter is not even here yet! My guess is we will burn about a cord of wood somewhere in early January and no more than 3 cord for the whole heating season.

Went and picked up my last load of wood for the season that we cut yesterday which gives me 3 rows 25 ft long and 5 feet high for the winter. Got some wood in for the storm this week and getting ready to start a fire now even though its 64 degrees. I have clothes that need washed and I'm to cheap to use the dryer so I start a fire and hang them on a rack over the vent in the floor going from the living room to the bedroom. I sure do hope everyone in the northeast has good dry wood because they are really going to need it over the next week_g

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Lopi, my wife also likes to dry the clothes using the wood stove. Saves many dollars for sure. But cutting now and burning that wood this winter is scary...

Lopi, my wife also likes to dry the clothes using the wood stove. Saves many dollars for sure. But cutting now and burning that wood this winter is scary...
Its not scary at all when the oak and locust have been laying on the ground and bone dry for years. Where we cut wood it would make a wood burner sick to see all the dry wood just laying on the ground. There is probably enough wood dry wood laying and standing to last a person 10 years but its all very hard to get to. Next years wood is green and stacked and drying right now

I too am looking fwd to this weekend or first of the week, hoping for the first fire. We have resisted the urge to start one in the evening. Even though we would have liked one to get a few degrees warmer in the room for watching TV anything more than just a kindling fire would have run us out!!
noticed your handle coming off your mauls - try an estwing, one solid piece

Wow! A cord already. That says you will be burning many, many cords before the winter is done. Winter is not even here yet! My guess is we will burn about a cord of wood somewhere in early January and no more than 3 cord for the whole heating season.

Last year was my first year heating with wood. I am not sure how many cords I went through as it was not stacked (or properly seasoned) I did run a brush up the chimney about every other week. This year I have (had) ten cords c/s/s Still not properly seasoned, but it is what I have. I will continue to run the brush up the chimney every other week or so.

I am heating with an old Northern leader wood furnace. It is in its own room on the other side of the garage. Heat is delivered to the house through duct work that runs overhead in the attic and comes out vents in the ceiling.

I would like to get a new wood furnace, been looking at the Kuma, but it is not in the budget at this time. My house is only 1.200 square feet built on a slab and I just do not have the space to put a wood stove in the house.

I have electric baseboard for backup, I didn't decide to go with wood as a primary until last November when I got a $300 electric bill. Electric heat now only goes on when both the wife and I are away for a extended period of time.

The three neighbors that I know that heat with wood say they burn between 7 to 10 cords a year. One has a boiler and the other two have wood stoves.

Around here a "cord" is 4'Hx8'W'x4'D
A face cord is 4'Hx8'Wx16"D,one third of a cord.
I burn about 3 cords or 9 face cord a season.

Around here a "cord" is 4'Hx8'W'x4'D
A face cord is 4'Hx8'Wx16"D,one third of a cord.
I burn about 3 cords or 9 face cord a season.

Yep, same here, I am talking real cord. Most people in the area burn somewhere between 7 and 10 "real" cords a year. I also have a couple of co-workers that heat with wood.

Yep, same here, I am talking real cord. Most people in the area burn somewhere between 7 and 10 "real" cords a year. I also have a couple of co-workers that heat with wood.
WOW!

This is what I woke up to this morning, 5" of the pretty white stuff. :)
10-28-12snow005.jpg

10-28-12snow003.jpg

Reactions: Billybonfire
Looking like i am going to get a snowstorm as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.