I talked to my insurance agent about the insert today.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Insert installed was permitted, but will be used ALOT more than the fireplace

I went online to our city's webpage and looked up permits. Unless the figures are quite old, which they probably are, the rest of the website is outdated by years, I'm looking at $42.50 for a permit. I'm going to put the thing in myself and get everything correct on it and then go pull a permit and have it inspected. Even though my insurance agent didn't seem to care, that's just too cheap of a price to worry about it. If I start poking aroud and it turns out to be hundreds of dollars then I'm not going to get one.

My permit was the $100.00 minimum my town charges.

Elk, judging from the inspection they did when I was forced to connect to the city sewer, these guys don't know what a real inspection is. After all, they spent three and half million dollars to put in a sewer system just to get 100 houses off septic tanks. Yes, 35,000 a house. Of course there were politics involved. There is a moratorium on septic systems in the city and where I live there is alot of undeveloped land and a few prominent people in town own a bunch of it, so instead of puting their own sewer lines and connecting them to the city, they bribed a city official to do it. She actually got caught on part of it by the State Attorney General, who turned it over to the local prosecutor, who sat on it for six months and then said the statue of limitations had run out. I live on a hill and they put grinder pumps in, because as you know chit won't flow down hill on it's own. The installation was so bad, that the holding tank in my backyard caved in before I even had a chance to connect to it. Also, we have had three or four line breaks so far. It's only been in about three years. Nothing like driving to work and seeing a big rooster tale of sewage shooting up in somebody's yard. Oh yeah, and the check valves on the holding tanks in everybody's yard are bad and the houses are split on two different electrical substations. I'm sure you can get the picture of what happens when the electricity goes out for half a day on one substation and not the other.

Carl I owned heavy equipment installed sewer and water lines. Before approval they had to be leak tested I would test them well before any inspectors came out just so that there were
no suprises... What ever happened in pride of quality workmanship? is it a lost art? Today when I look at a job and the owners tell me how cheap they want it. I listen to a point, then inform them I can't do it or won't do it better get someone else. I'm all for giving quality to my customers at a fair price But I will not mickey mouse and install junk. Reminds of a slider that was bought at a clearance outlet . can I install it? Well the slider was sprung and no amout of leveling I could make it work and close properly. Naturally the people assume Its my fault. Till I took out the ruler and showed how far out of square it was 2" on the diagonals. No way to make that up. I ended up returning the slider and getting one that was square which put me into the next day.
I never got paid for the job..

Leak tested? They didn't even lay the pipe on a bed of gravel. They paved the road after they put the main line in and three months later you could see the cracks where they dug it up. Now we have permanet six inch wide pot hole that goes all the way up the hill. This year they finally filled it in and ran a steam roller the whole way up the hill. They ran the electrical from my house to the grinder pump in romex and only put it maybe 4 inches underground. I filed a complaint with the Public Service Commision and they came back and put it in with slip joint conduit. So I filed another complaint saying that the stuff still wasn't atleast 6 inches underground and the PSC did nothing. Now my sewer rates are going up 70% so the city can separate the storm and sewage lines. The insert was this years project and a well is next years. I live alone and I'm gone two weeks a month and I still have a 50 plus dollar a month water bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.