I think it is going to be the Oslo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wendell

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2008
NE Iowa
I was out running errands this morning so stopped by the PE dealer to take another look at the T5 they have on display and tried to imagine what the T6 would look like and then stopped by the Jotul dealer to find out when they are going to get the new top loader in. He said they hadn't even heard yet that Jotul was making one so I told him he better get on here and take a look.

But, then he told me they are selling their blue/black enamel Oslo floor model and after a moment of negotiating, he agreed to sell it to me with a rear heat shield for $2146.

I think the T6 would be technically the better choice for the convective heating but I just love the look of the enameled Oslo (it must be my Norwegian half) and I even more love a deal. I need to talk to the boss tonight to get her final say but thought I'd toss it out there to all of you.

What say you?

Sweet! I say go with the bb Oslo if she's really giving you that 'special feeling.' :) Both stoves are beautiful and have many happy owners here. I understand convection/radiation/conduction as different modes of heat transfer, but I suspect the differences between different stoves may be exaggerated. Unless a blower is involved, I don't see how one iron(clad) stove would convect vs. radiate dramatically more than another. A 'convection' heater is also going to radiate, and a 'radiator' is also going to convect. A particular stove design may be biased more one way or the other, but I think a blower would have to be involved to see/feel a dramatic difference. I may be missing something though, perhaps a "Convection vs. Radiation" thread is in order. . .

I don't see how see could refuse after all you spent on her enamel, it's your turn now. ;-P

Where's it going, up or down?

Go get the stove. You're gonna love it. And if you don't you can't blame us. :coolgrin:

That blue/black enamel has sold a bazillion Jotul stoves. Heck, you could coat a Yugo with that stuff and it would look great.

If I got the T6 I would get the blower. Not much point in getting a convective stove without one.

It is going up. The Morso is back where it belongs in the basement. The other advantage of the Jotul is it will stick out a foot less into the living room. Yes, it is my turn to spend money we don't have. :roll: The nice thing is there are going to let me put a deposit down on it and pick it up in a couple months.

My choice has been blessed by BB. I am a lucky man!

One thing I found curious is if you go to Jotul's website, they list the Blue/Black as a matte paint, not enamel. Is that something that has changed?

wendell said:
One thing I found curious is if you go to Jotul's website, they list the Blue/Black as a matte paint, not enamel. Is that something that has changed?
An enamel finish is a type of paint, using the broad definition of the word. It's just a thick, hard paint that stands up to extreme temperatures. The blue/black is a thin enamel, and somewhat matte, but glossier than an ordinary matte black stove paint. The majolica enamel finishes are thicker and glossier yet.

I bought an Oslo last year, and the only regret I have is that I didn't spring for the extra $$ for the blue/black, but my dealer was really discounting the matte black models at the time. Sounds like you have a good deal on the blue/black. I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.

wendell said:
My choice has been blessed by BB. I am a lucky man!

Well, if you aren't going to buy a real steel wood stove, that one will do just fine. :lol:

grommal said:
An enamel finish is a type of paint, using the broad definition of the word. It's just a thick, hard paint that stands up to extreme temperatures. The blue/black is a thin enamel, and somewhat matte, but glossier than an ordinary matte black stove paint. The majolica enamel finishes are thicker and glossier yet.

Got it. Still surprised they wouldn't call it enamel then instead of just paint. And from what I read, the blue/black holds up better than the majolica.

wendell said:
grommal said:

Got it. Still surprised they wouldn't call it enamel then instead of just paint. And from what I read, the blue/black holds up better than the majolica.

It can't hold up much worse, that's for damn sure.

It'll be just fine. Enjoy that new box. It's a beauty.

Blue/black rates 100% in our household! Side door loading is the way to go though. Front door loading drops ashes.

Shari

If an Oslo owner has any regrets with his or her purchase it's typically that they didn't pay a bit more and get that beautiful blue-black finish . . . I know it's my one and only regret. I can't speak to the new top-loader and I'm sure it will work out well . . . but I'm never one to be the first guinea pig to see if it has any issues . . . the Oslo on the otherhand is pretty much bullet-proof. As Shari said the only minor drawback is that using the front door will result in ashes dropping out on to the front lip which can be a pain unless you're using the side door.

Notice my updated signature! :cheese:

I am. Very happy, in fact.

In some ways, i gotta think it was meant to be. I've been meaning to stop by there for weeks but just haven't had time and yesterday, finally decided i was going to go, regardless. And that morning, they decided to sell that stove. In fact, the manager told me that normally they don't order the replacement floor model until they have sold the existing one but decided they wouldn't have any trouble selling an Oslo so they had already ordered their new one. I guess they were right.

Great deal I just purchased The Green Majolica, for $2300.00 And I shopped around Found the in stock ones at this price and to order would be 2700. So good for you Buy it now.

Cpt

Fantastic. You are gonna love it.

Note to self: Call Jotul. The commission check is late this month. :mad:

Congratulations Wendell.

We have had a 602 in blue black enamel, also with a high top, for 8 years now, it still look like new and its a beautiful finish, I think you made a great choice there, the enamel really makes the stove stand out, our 118 is matt paint and after a while it starts to look old and used.

Nice work! I know there are a lot of Oslo owners here who are happy with their stove. I've got a Castine and it's been great stove. Burns great, looks great.

Status
Not open for further replies.