I think this was my first wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

precaud

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny New Mexico
www.linearz.com
Saw this on CL and it brought back some memories. Notice the lack of air controls of any kind...

Attachments

• king624.jpg
    king624.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 789
  • king624a.jpg
    king624a.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 1,095
You never forget your first one. Stove either.

My first was a Franklin. Never forget when we moved out of that house. I went up in the attic to bring down stuff and noticed the charred lumber around the chimney pipe installed by those "pros".

I have installed my own stoves and chimneys ever since.

King boxwood heater....not bad. In fact, it is still copied today......
I think my first were the hardware store cheap metal units - oval shaped like a cheap Ashley.

My first decent unit was a King oval shaped with sheet sides, but cast top, bottom and door. I bought it used in TN (when I lived there), and replaced the side sheet metal with stuff sitting around the junk pile. It was our only source of heat.

Boy, sheet metal sides... talk about instant heat!

This is where I lived at the time (1975), in a two-room company house close to the tipple:

http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/nm/madrid.html

What a crazy, lawless place it was. I think I was the only sane person there. Different times, those were...

It's true what it says on the website. When I first went there, a big green sign read "such-and-such Realty Proudly Presents For Sale, THE ENTIRE TOWN OF MADRID, NEW MEXICO." Nobody wanted it, and they ended up having to sell it off in chunks.

The craziest stove I ever had was one of those oval blued tin hardware store stoves. Flap in the top where you dropped the wood in. Five minutes after you lit it off it was glowing on the sides and eventually the flap would start popping up and down.

I would lay a brick on the flap to keep it down. I replaced it eventually with the much more sophisticated 55 gallon barrel stove.

And both of them did a better heating job than the Jotul F3 that is down there in that basement now.

Gosh BB, sounds like you had a live one there.

And both of them did a better heating job than the Jotul F3 that is down there in that basement now.

I guess a Mod can get away with saying things like that in the shoulder season ;)

The Ashley tin stove was the only thing a hippie could afford in 1969. :p I should know, kept me from freezing one New England winter. Well, at least the side of me that was facing the stove.

My first real stove came 9 years later, the original VC Resolute, she was my first love. The Ashley was just a winter fling.

BrotherBart said:
The craziest stove I ever had was one of those oval blued tin hardware store stoves. Flap in the top where you dropped the wood in. Five minutes after you lit it off it was glowing on the sides and eventually the flap would start popping up and down.

I would lay a brick on the flap to keep it down. I replaced it eventually with the much more sophisticated 55 gallon barrel stove.

Sounds like the "Oldies-But-Goodies" used a lot of wood, but did a better job of getting
real heat out to you. Makes you want to take a second look at what "efficiency" really
means to the woodstove user.......

Nope I'll keep what I have less wood to carry in... reminds me of my 1972 Chevy Bel Air what a gas hog...I love that car though...Memories!

Rob From Wisconsin said:
Sounds like the "Oldies-But-Goodies" used a lot of wood, but did a better job of getting
real heat out to you. Makes you want to take a second look at what "efficiency" really
means to the woodstove user.......

There was a very thin line of separation between that glowing red sheet steel and you. By the second or third season you had to keep a tight eye out for holes and burn-thrus. I think I will stick with a thicker layer of steel and cast between me and the fire in my living-room.

BeGreen said:
There was a very thin line of separation between that glowing red sheet steel and you. By the second or third season you had to keep a tight eye out for holes and burn-thrus.

True, but I liked this remark the best:

The Ashley tin stove ... kept me from freezing one New England winter. Well, at least the side of me that was facing the stove.

My bed (mattress on the floor) was right next to the King boxwood, and kept me half warm too :)

BrotherBart said:
I still have my first one, on both accounts (TMI, i know)

BeGreen said:
The Ashley tin stove was the only thing a hippie could afford in 1969.
:lol:

I was a 1/3 owner of an oval sheet metal Ashley along with two other hippies. It was not a voluntary decision. The owner of the house we all lived in ran out of money for oil. We tried to heat this big ol' run down Victorian with the fireplace, but that got real old come January. We were waking up with headaches from the cold, inside temps in the 40s. So one day Bub showed up with the stove and told us we all had to chip it on it. I wasn't too pleased, particularly since it was being installed downstairs and I lived upstairs. I wasn't too happy about having to cut and split wood in a place I rented - utilities included - from this guy. Back then, I was much more interested in burning a product that came into the States from Columbia. Didn't keep me warm, but it helped me not care about the cold.

Danno77 said:
BrotherBart said:

Don't be ashamed, same here, 30 years with one, one year with the other..lol

Dakotas Dad said:
Danno77 said:
BrotherBart said:

Don't be ashamed, same here, 30 years with one, one year with the other..lol

Thirty five years here but not the first. And bought the first wood stove the same year. I am getting real tempted to quote Tina Fey on Letterman here about the other first. But should just let everybody look it up on youtube.

Happy Anniversary to you and your only, BK.

precaud said:

Thanks, Precaud, and good guess. I even remembered it this year. It was easy enough. I asked her well in advance to take the day off. When I woke up and she was still in bed, I thought, "What?! Oh... that's right." Then I whispered, "Happy Anniversary" in her ear :kiss: and went fishing for the day.

BTW, after all the times I forgot our anniversary, if Lady BK ever got even a hint that I might remember the anniversary date of my first wood stove, I'd be sleeping in the basement with the latest one.

You're bad, BK... and you're good. That's probably why she loves you. :)

Battenkiller said:
precaud said:

Thanks, Precaud, and good guess. I even remembered it this year. It was easy enough. I asked her well in advance to take the day off. When I woke up and she was still in bed, I thought, "What?! Oh... that's right." Then I whispered, "Happy Anniversary" in her ear :kiss: and went fishing for the day.

BTW, after all the times I forgot our anniversary, if Lady BK ever got even a hint that I might remember the anniversary date of my first wood stove, I'd be sleeping in the basement with the latest one.

I got lucky on how ours worked out.. first date.. cinco demayo (May 5th 1980) Finally convinced her to actually marry me.. Feb 14th 1986. That's right baby!! the whole WORLD reminds me my anniversary is coming up! Even when I am old and senile, I should get enough clues to remember..

note it took nearly six years to convince her I was worth it...

Our anniversary is the 15th of March, AKA the Ides of March.

I figured if Julius Caesar could take the gas on that date so could I.

Status
Not open for further replies.