identify what kind of stone is behind this stove ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrism

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 8, 2009
Eastern PA
Could anyone tell me what kind of stone this is ? I want to put it behind my stove. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG00283-20111002-2221.jpg
    IMG00283-20111002-2221.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 334
You are the man !!! That's it thanks so much !!

If you live in eastern Pa, this is the home for that stuff. I lay the full stones of that in walls all summer long and it's called colonial. When they cut it for use like this is generally referred to as veneer. There are artificial versions but I am not certain about their resistance to heat.

Here's a website of a local stone yard for me. http://diazstoneandpallet.com/veneers.htm

pen

Is that stuff expensive I'd have to do a 6x8 ft section?? I'm in the poconos its like an hour away from me that's cool. How would I secure it to durock??

I raised the hearth in the kitchen with stones like that. They were really cheap... tons of them located on my property.

Chrism said:
Is that stuff expensive I'd have to do a 6x8 ft section?? I'm in the poconos its like an hour away from me that's cool. How would I secure it to durock??

It does not attach as easily as tile does. If it's your first job expect it to take far longer than you'd expect. I'd call around to some locals who do the work and get an estimate. I'm not meaning to promote that business, just displayed it for the images, but if you call them (or anyone around you who sells that stuff) for the price of the stone to do that area you'd at least get an idea for the material cost then you'd be better able to judge the cost of installation.

pen

Is there any tile out there similar to the look of real stone that is heat resistant ??

Yes, we have a lot of installations here with backwalls or surround of cultured or manufactured stone.

What is manufactured stone?
"Manufactured Stone is made of Portland cement, lightweight aggregates, and mineral oxides for coloration. Each stone is cast from individual molds that have been crafted from real natural stone, resulting in a natural and realistic visual."

"Manufactured Stone is non-combustible and will not generate smoke or spread flames. It can be used on the outside of fireplaces, chimneys, hearths, and backsplashes by maintaining a distance of 18 inches from open flame/heat source. Manufactured Stone cannot be used inside fireboxes or fire pits or in direct contact with flames, coals or ashes."

http://www.daltilemanufacturedstone.com/products.cfm

Fake stone -vs- real... I'll take real stone. Cultured is just a fancy word for fake or imitation. I'm curious how those fake stone homes are going to look after years of sun and rain when the dye starts leaching out and fading.

What about veneer stone . . . anyone have experience with them? Real stone just cut thinly?

Status
Not open for further replies.