If its 500 degrees on the door,

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
of an insert (old buck 28000) how much is it in the flue? 6,700?

gzecc said:

tag for interest.
i have a insert(EPA, enviro venice 1700)
and am having the damndest time finding a place to read temperatures.
so far i just read temps on the inside steel walls with a IR thermometer. i would liketo get temp readings in an area that would correlate to a stove top reading that everyone talks about, so i have something to base my temps off of.
my stove top gets to be 150-200 as it has a blower and the stove top is recessed off of the actual stove, with a air void in there for the blower to blow air over the stove.

gzecc said:
Ditto. I have a Buck 26000 I have burned for over 25 years. My thermometer is on the metal mesh over the glass so I feel like I am getting a good indication of the fire box temperature. I just use it as a reference point.....since I have burned it so long I know what it is doing by sights and sounds and fan speed. But I have always wondered what my flue temp is when my door thermometer is reading 450 - 500 F. Several posts have suggested that the flue temp. would be less than the stove temp.....don't know. Have thought about one of those remote sensors to digital read out, but would have to take the stove out to get the probe in there. If I ever do, I will post my flue temps.

Well, as long as this isn't the temp on the front door of the house, it's probably fine. I would just be guessing at the flue temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.