if you didnt have the stove you have...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We debated between the Fireview and Blaze King so I would have to say that if I didn't have the Fireview it would be the King... that isn't to say I'm in any way disappointed here. I suspect I would not have been disappointed with the King either (although it would almost certainly have been the Princess model - King being a bit too much for our house I think not to mention buying a new chimney...). I suppose I'm addicted to long burns. I sure wish I could just try one out too... that would be nice - wonder if I could find a cabin with one..

Hey - there is an idea! (would never happen) - A resort with cabins where each is outfitted with different stoves. You rent different cabins to try a new stove out for the weekend... rent includes a supply of well seasoned wood. Activities include bucking, splitting, (so you can try saws and splitting gear that you have always drooled over) and of course lots of story telling and other social activities in the evenings...

The only thing I would add to that resort, would be an endless supply of ALL the regional micro brews for sampling!

I have to parrot Hogwildz choices - a Blaze King-King or the Equinox for me.

Maybe somebody can answer this for me. Of the two above, are they considered a North-South load, or east west?? I would really like a North South stove.

Todd said:
Hearth.com monthly stove swap? ;-)

Umm... which part of 500lbs of stone and metal did you miss out on? :)

I'd love to give the other big rocks a try - and the Kings.. but they seem to be just as heavy as our Fireview. It took me over a month to find 3 other guys to help me pull my stove up the stairs... imagine telling them it was to be a monthly event! I guess it would justify buying one of those nifty battery powered stair climbing forklift things though! I suppose it could be a stove timeshare arrangement to buy into.

Another thought - I'm sure the local inspector would be amused too... wonder if they do a bulk rate on permits.

Jags said:
Maybe somebody can answer this for me. Of the two above, are they considered a North-South load, or east west?? I would really like a North South stove.

The King is 18" NS.

SolarAndWood said:
Jags said:

The King is 18" NS.

Ooooo.....that would work nicely.

Jags said:
SolarAndWood said:
Jags said:

The King is 18" NS.

Ok - does NS vs EW make much of a difference in a Cat stove?

Slow1 said:
Jags said:
SolarAndWood said:
Jags said:

The King is 18" NS.

Ok - does NS vs EW make much of a difference in a Cat stove?

Only if you have taught the cat to load the stove.

Its just a personal pref of mine. Easier to play Jenga style load outs.

My little splitter and maul prefer 18 to 24.

Woodstock's new stove.....when they finally get it ready for marketing.

I just had this choice and I picked the BKK.

If I could not have the BKK, my next choice would be to wait and see what WS comes out with when they release their larger cat stove. My guess/fear is that it won't be all that much larger than the FV (maybe 2.5 cu ft?). I'd like to see a 3+ cu ft soap/cat with a 6" flue (at a reasonable price) with an automatic thermostat on the primary air.

SolarAndWood said:
Jags said:

The King is 18" NS.
I'll add that the BKK will do about 23" if you go E/W, but it gets tougher as you get close to the door.

We've been burning a bit now and I really do like my heritage. Only thing I would change is burn times and I would like the ability to burn it lower. I am finding that with a properly insulated and sealed home that a range of output temps is desirable vs. the on or off control of the non-cats.

So I would be looking for a cat stove. No rebuilding so no cast iron stoves. Burn times are highly important and so is using normal 16-18" wood so a larger stove say 3+ CF is important. 6" flue is important since regular stoves use 6" flues, if this limits max btus then so be it. Thermostat would be super nice though I think I could live without it.

Put a cat on the big englander, make the BK nice looking, or woodstock get with the times and put out a larger stove.

Slow1 said:
We debated between the Fireview and Blaze King so I would have to say that if I didn't have the Fireview it would be the King... that isn't to say I'm in any way disappointed here. I suspect I would not have been disappointed with the King either (although it would almost certainly have been the Princess model - King being a bit too much for our house I think not to mention buying a new chimney...). I suppose I'm addicted to long burns. I sure wish I could just try one out too... that would be nice - wonder if I could find a cabin with one..

Hey - there is an idea! (would never happen) - A resort with cabins where each is outfitted with different stoves. You rent different cabins to try a new stove out for the weekend... rent includes a supply of well seasoned wood. Activities include bucking, splitting, (so you can try saws and splitting gear that you have always drooled over) and of course lots of story telling and other social activities in the evenings...

yup here it comes. STOVE CAMP.

i'd say that i would be settling if i picked any stove out there. like what was said earlier no one makes what i would like in stove. i'd like to have a stove that could run like a coal stove. load it up and if it gets warm out have the ability to turn it down to luke warm but make it burn clean enough that i wouldn't have to worry about creosote. but have it also be able to run at normal stove temps for the cold winter days and still be able to get 10 hour burns
yaaaaaaaaaaaa
oh, sorry for dozing off.

fbelec said:
i'd say that i would be settling if i picked any stove out there. like what was said earlier no one makes what i would like in stove.

Keep in mind that is was Mr. Holton that started this thread. ;-)

He might just be fishing for the "next" great stove. :cheese:

Jags said:

Nah. I think he is looking for him a new stove. :lol:

BrotherBart said:
Jags said:

Nah. I think he is looking for him a new stove. :lol:

I hear the Summits are pretty kick azz.

Is there a reason a big stove can't heat DHW like the furnaces do?

Ghettontheball said:
SolarAndWood said:
Is there a reason a big stove can't heat DHW like the furnaces do?
epa stoves require hot burn for clean burn & water coil would cool the firebox

Furnaces don't burn hot and clean?

if i didnt have my old blaze king kt302 stove i would want a brand new blaze king ultra king cat! those things are NICE!

If I had the right house and right room i'd go with an Equinox

I'm pretty happy with the stove I bought and really can't say that I have any buyer's remorse . . . with the possible exception of not having waited and gone with the blue black enamel . . . but I can live with my choice of matt black quite easily.

I don't think my dream stove really exists . . . I would love to have a stove sized right between the Hearthstone Heritage and Equinox . . . and I like the idea of having a front and side door . . . and the design works well for me . . .

But I like the Fireview's use of the cat and their legendary customer service . . . I only wish their designs were a bit simpler like the Hearthstone line-up as I don't care for a lot of ornate metal work.

Of course, if we're really fantasizing . . . I would love a masonry heater/woodstove combo . . . and a Porsche . . . and to have more hair on my head and less belly . . . more money in the bank account and . . . OK, enough fantasizing . . . this will just end badly and end up with me getting in trouble with my wife. ;) :)

I like both of the stoves I've got. I'd like to have access to hardwoods. Can't have everything...where would you put it all? Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.