I'm gonna do it....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MaintenanceMan

Minister of Fire
Feb 25, 2010
Southern IN
After a lot of looking, saving and debating, I've finally come to a final decision. I'm ordering a PE Super 27 Heritage first thing Monday morning. I remodeled our kitchen last year and moved the chimney in the process to accommodate a larger stove in the future. I just love my little 17 and it's been great to learn on. It heats this house quite well, for the most part, as long as I can feed it. I'll be moving it out to my workshop at some point and putting in a 27 to get those overnight burns and to better keep up in the super cold weather.

I've been deliberating over several stoves and have been fairly close to pulling the trigger on something less expensive. If Englander made a similar stove to the 17 in about a 2 cu ft size I would be all over it. I made our new hearth capable to handle the 13nc, but wanted NS loading and a bit better burn times. The Madison was just a bit too tall and not quite aesthetically pleasing to my eye. I would love to do business with our local hardware store and Buck Stove dealer. Bucks are built like tanks and are quality for sure, but there's just nothing with the clearances and firebox size that's just right for me.

I've been very close to ordering a TN19, but decided to save a bit more and buy once and cry once. I stopped in the closest Pacific Energy dealer a while back and was quite impressed with the ruggedness of the 27. The stainless baffle system sold me more than anything. My biggest concern has been not getting something too big for this house. I do feel from all the feedback on here that the 27 will burn quite well in the shoulder season and handle smaller loads better than most other 2 cu ft stoves.

The dealer says he can have it there by Tuesday so I am hoping to have it picked up by the end of the week. I'm going to try and update this thread with some pics of the new hearth and stove as I go. Can't wait!

Sounds like you've done your homework. Those 27's are a nice stove. That would be my first pick if I were to buy a new stove.

Reactions: MaintenanceMan
Congratulations. The TN19 is a good value stove but the Super is several steps better in design. The baffle system is tough and simple and the linked secondary works to extend the burn time nicely. I think you'll be very happy with the Super stove.

Ordered it from the dealer this morning. $1900 was the best price I could get for the Super 27 Heritage with blower. Should be here by the end of the week.

Spent yesterday afternoon finishing up what splitting and stacking that I had left to do for winter 2016-17 . Stacks are full of dry Hickory and Oak mostly for the coming winter. Only problem is most of it is pretty small split for the 27 because I was prepared for the 17. Feels great to have a bigger stove on the way and 2-3 years worth of wood stacked though. Now I just got to round up a few hands to help get the 27 off the truck and in the house....

Congratulations. That's a decent price. Take pics!

Congrats on your purchase, a very decent price w/blower included. You'll be glad you sprung the extra coin for the Super 27, its a very user friendly stove.
Get the door, bricks, and baffle out of there and it should carry in a bit easier. Good luck and check back with pictures after the install.

I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve here... Dealer called and said it's in. Picking it up in the morning. I got the 17 out and in storage (going to use it in my shop in the future). Got the hearth cleaned up and a helper lined up to get it off the truck and in the house. Wonder if I'll be able to sleep tonight..Lol. I'll post pics as I go. Woohoo!

Reactions: Seanm
It's In! Everything's ready for that first break in fire.

Here's the 17 in the original hearth. Same basic location. I removed a wall and was awaiting to finish a kitchen remodel.
17vl.jpg

Here she is in the new location after the kitchen is done. I burned this stove for three winters and it's a great little stove. During the remodel I went through the trouble of moving the chimney away from the wall 10" in order to keep a straight shot through the roof and gain a bit more clearance for a larger stove in the futrure. When I laid out the hearth I set it up for enough clearance for several different stoves, but was hoping to eventually afford a Super 27.
101.JPG

The Super 27 Heritage loaded on my truck at the dealer. Not forklift just manpower..
103.JPG

I secured a couple of ramps together and strapped the 27 to my dolly. Shipping weight says 380lbs. I lucked out a had a contractor friend of mine working on my street as I pulled in. Suckered his crew along with my brother into helping me get it off the truck.
105.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: brenndatomu
Only one step so not too bad, Just had to get through the door and on the hearth.
106.JPG

My first impression of this stove was just how rugged it is. I really feel good about my investment and I've not even had that first fire.
107.JPG

I purchased the blower too so I got this on before scooting it in place.
112.JPG

You attach the thermal snap disk on two screws before placing the blower on the stove.
113.JPG

Last edited:
Good pics. Its amazing how close the clearances are on these stoves! I never did get the blower for mine but kind of wish I did to move some air over the top of the stove. You'll have to tell me what you think of the noise or lack thereof once you get er going. Dont forget your break in fires! Enjoy.

You slide the thermal disk bracket up inside the heat shield on the back. Here's a shot looking up. The blower just attached with two screws onto the back heat shield.
115.JPG

Nice blower quieter on high than the 17 on low. Fully adjustable. Auto or manual. Maybe won't use it as much, but wanted the option.
116.JPG

Firebrick packaged up. The dealer said I would have one extra. There's a pic in the manual for the layout of these.
118.JPG

Pic of the stainless baffle and burner.
119.JPG

Last edited:
Here's a pic from inside the stove looking out at the primary air manifold at he bottom of the door.
122.JPG

Firebrick installed
123.JPG

Ash dump and instructions. I understand they offer the 27 Heritage without an ashpan for those looking to save a few $. Seems like a pretty well engineered mechanism. Don't know how much I'll use the ashpan though.
120.JPG

121.JPG

Last edited:
Got the double wall installed tonight. Stoves ready to go. I'm elated! Looks great, just not near cool enough to even break in yet..
127.JPG

The mantel/shelf on the wall was something I whipped up out of some pine 2x's and thriftiness. Put some strip led lights on the underside. Hard to tell, but it's about three inches deep. Kind of my attempt at having something like a mantle close to the stove. We just need to get something hung on the wall and the area decorated a bit for the coming holidays.

129.JPG

126.JPG

Attachments

• 131.JPG
    131.JPG
    231.2 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
I'll post more after I get a chance to start the break in procedure. A LOT of hard work coming to fruition here. I did the entire remodel, cabinets, tile and now new stove myself. Feels good to see it come together.

Looks real pretty. Did you have to put in the baffle yourself? If so did it come with a baffle gasket? Im sure it must have. Early days but when you do remove the baffle to do a clean make sure you have extra gaskets and plug that hole in the back so your cleaning doesnt get in there. Lots of different opinions on the ash tray. I have one as well and after using it a few times I wedged it shut from underneath and packed it with ash. My perception was that it leaked a bit, not sure if I was right or wrong but Ive just gotten used to not using that feature. Thanks for the comments on the blower. Your stove looks way to clean on the inside!;)

Very impressive! I won't let my wife see it, she would put me to work;lol

Welcome to the Super family!

Thanks! I'm sure I'll be looking to all the PE and Super owners here to help me soften the learning curve this coming season. Looking forward to it.

Good pics. Its amazing how close the clearances are on these stoves! I never did get the blower for mine but kind of wish I did to move some air over the top of the stove. You'll have to tell me what you think of the noise or lack thereof once you get er going. Dont forget your break in fires! Enjoy.

I fired up the blower and played with it a bit and on high it's very quiet. With the 17 I always used the blower and the noise never did bother me. But this one is definitely quieter and automatic. It has an infinit range of adjustability too. You can tune it right where you want it and when lower I can barely hear it.

FYI, there is one on ebay new right now for at least $50 cheaper than most dealers. I talked my dealer into matching the price, but if your just wanting a PE blower it would be a pretty good deal..

Looks real pretty. Did you have to put in the baffle yourself? If so did it come with a baffle gasket? Im sure it must have. Early days but when you do remove the baffle to do a clean make sure you have extra gaskets and plug that hole in the back so your cleaning doesnt get in there. Lots of different opinions on the ash tray. I have one as well and after using it a few times I wedged it shut from underneath and packed it with ash. My perception was that it leaked a bit, not sure if I was right or wrong but Ive just gotten used to not using that feature. Thanks for the comments on the blower. Your stove looks way to clean on the inside!;)

The baffle was installed already. The extra brick the dealer told me about was to cover the ash plug, but I didn't want to give up on it without trying it for myself.. Not sure yet,but I honestly don't expect to use it very much if at all.

Wanted to post these too. I broke the pallet down and removed all the nails etc. Nothing goes to waste. Some will be used for the cerimonial break in fires. But some I will clean up and use for various project, crafts, and woodworking. Just wanted to post the "before" pics of what's to come. 124.JPG 125.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
looks great!!! - now its time to update your avatar and signature.

looks great!!! - now its time to update your avatar and signature.

Thanks! I had the same thought this morning, but decided to wait until I get a good pic of it with a nice fire going.

Great looking hearth and stove! Really enjoyed all the pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.