Indoor Pellet Storage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peasoupme

Dec 19, 2009
Central New Hampshire
I was wondering how everyone stores their pellets inside the house? Our stove is in our living room and I'd like to get a decorative leather basket/or ottoman to put our pellets in so I can just dump a bag or two in and put a scoop in it. Anyone got any ideas? What do you use?

I use a wooden antique chest made out of cedar. It holds about 6 bags and we use a scoop as well. It is a little more dustier then just loading a bag in the pellet stove. When the stove is very low on pellets we usually just add a full bag vs. the scoop from the chest. We typically use the scoop from the chest to top off or add a few scoops here and there. The chest is also used for living room seating for two. We added two big removable coushins on top of it and it goes great.

I keep a ton ready in my basement stacked along a wall. Since the bags are only 16" wide it doesn't really take up that much room (10 bags long x 5 bags high). I could probably double the amount stacking them higher but I didn't. The other 2 tons are in the garage and hopefully won't be needed till mid January.

I pour them from the bags into a Coal Hod to bring them upstairs and leave the Hod full and on display beside the stove.

http://www.northlineexpress.com/category/ash-vacuums.asp

Being a Bear I'm rather rustic, the bags are on the floor a few feet from the stove, right now there are five waiting to become hopper food.

Right now we are also rocking out the bags on the floor but I do like the idea of a bench where people could sit by the pellet stove. I saw some pretty cheap ottomans on the Target website that might work well for holding pellets.

I use a two ton pto driven feed cart :>)

Thanks for the link Doocrew :) I like that idea!

i just use a plastic tote from walmart with a one gallon laundry soap bottle for a scoop. works good for me. the tote holds 2 bags of pellets. i put 2 bags in the tote and a third in the stove, then i have plenty on hand to refill the stove as needed.

mike

....last January/Feb. I put this together using a chop saw and table saw (still have all my appendages.... :lol: ) ... its now a nice center piece much like a coffee table. Use the coal hod to scoop the pellets into the stove. Holds 8 bags of pellets (still in the plastic) or 10 bags loose & filtered. My wife has fun making the seasonal decorations which we change up several times during the year.... before we had this, we had bags lying around the living room and one day I decided that that wouldn't do over the long term of owning the stove..... Season's Greetings to everyone........ cc :)

... click on pics to enlarge....

Attachments

• DSCN7890.jpg
    DSCN7890.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 3,839
  • DSCN7891.jpg
    DSCN7891.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 3,241
  • DSCN7904.jpg
    DSCN7904.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 3,495
  • DSCN7957.jpg
    DSCN7957.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 5,989
  • IMG_0669.jpg
    IMG_0669.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 3,244
Reactions: jdinny
CanadaClinker said:
....last January/Feb. I put this together using a chop saw and table saw (still have all my appendages.... :lol: ) ... its now a nice center piece much like a coffee table. Use the coal hod to scoop the pellets into the stove. Holds 8 bags of pellets (still in the plastic) or 10 bags loose & filtered. My wife has fun making the seasonal decorations which we change up several times during the year.... before we had this, we had bags lying around the living room and one day I decided that that wouldn't do over the long term of owning the stove..... Season's Greetings to everyone........ cc :)

Get ready for the owes and ahhs from macman any minute now! Nice work CC. Hey can you turn off that fan. Getting cold down here. :lol:

CanadaClinker said:

CanadaClinker that is GORGEOUS!! I'm glad you still have all your appendages too :lol: Good work!

clinker....thats still the best set-up i've seen on this site so far...theres still a couple though that are right there with ya, but i give the edge to you.....LOOKS GREAT

CanadaClinker,

That looks awesome! I admire your work and I'm also jealous that your wife would allow you to turn your living room into a work area. I have a feeling my wife would have removed one or more of my appendages for operating power tools in the living room.

I store 20-30 bags close to the stove. I also have a plain Tupperware container that holds three bags... my wife uses it to "top off" the hopper... I usually just pour one bag in at a time.

My plan to widen my sidewalk and just use my forklift to get a pallet to the door when needed came undone when I looked at my wallet and it was empty...

CC pellet storage systems. I can see it now. Your gonna be rich! Clinker that is sweeeeet looking.

Schoondog

This copper bin. My Mother got it at a yard sale I think back
in the 70's. It has been right there next to the fireplace for
30 yrs. My parents used to keep a few logs in it for the fireplace.
Have it up on a pedestal so no bending over. It holds 80lbs of pellets and the scoop holds 3lbs.
Didn't pay a dime for it so to me it's the best pellet container ever.

bin.jpg

I feel like a piker.
5 gal plastic bucket on the hearth, bags of pellets and barrels of corn in the attached garage.

peasoupme said:
I was wondering how everyone stores their pellets inside the house? Our stove is in our living room and I'd like to get a decorative leather basket/or ottoman to put our pellets in so I can just dump a bag or two in and put a scoop in it. Anyone got any ideas? What do you use?

I load them into the basement 6 bags at a time with the wheel barrow and pile them onto pallets to the ceiling. 6 tons loaded in two saturdays sure beats the time, effort, and cost in comparison to cutting, splitting, handling, and rehandling the equivalent amount of firewood....

Attachments

• PC200434.jpg
    PC200434.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 3,671
I only buy about 10 bags at a time and store them in the minivan. The added weight is great for traction and if I ever get stuck some pellets get poured out by the tires.

tchdngrnby, you take the prise for the most pellets stored within easy reach of the stove! CC, I've said this before...that is one beautiful box. It just fits perfectly in the room.

I have an old treasure chest. It has held my kids toys, assorted DVD's, old books, dog toys, and finally, pellets. I can just get two bags in it. I used an old gallon jug for a scoop but I stopped by my local AGWAY and saw a huge grain scoop. It cost my $16 but boy, four scoops and my hopper is full!

Attachments

• Pellet bin 002 (Small).jpg
    Pellet bin 002 (Small).jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,877
Here is what I use.

Attachments

• IMG_1333.jpg
    IMG_1333.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,419
  • IMG_1334.jpg
    IMG_1334.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 2,092
mjbrown65 said:
i just use a plastic tote from walmart with a one gallon laundry soap bottle for a scoop. works good for me. the tote holds 2 bags of pellets. i put 2 bags in the tote and a third in the stove, then i have plenty on hand to refill the stove as needed.

mike
Same here two 18 gallon totes not the prettiest but it works for now until I find or build a nice chest to hold them.

Status
Not open for further replies.