insert advice needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DanH

Jan 23, 2017
Hello,

I have been lurking here for a while scouring the posts for information and I am hoping some of the experts can provide insight on what I should do.

I recently moved into a drafty(working on sealing) house about 4000 FT2 and I am looking for a stove to help offset the heating cost. The stove would be centrally located with a loft and great room above and a hallway above leading towards the bedrooms. The chimney is inside the house about 33 feet high to the cap.

One of my problems is finding a nice looking insert to fit the existing fireplace opening 40"W 32"H 32"D, I like the look of Enviro Cabella 1700 but the surround is to small so filler panels must be added which doesn't look as clean(not sure if this put out enough heat too). I would like a stove that has some decent convection heating capabilities as well as QUIET fan if that is possible, I looked at the VC Merrimack which I thought was a great fit but alas the reviews seem to indicate the VC are junk :(

Another decision I am struggling with is cat VS non-cat, I plan on burning hardwood, Oak, douglas fir so not sure if that matters to much but I would like something that isn't to finicky.

Any suggestions on model and makes would be very welcomed.

Thanks in advanced.
Perplexed

i have been so focused on the inserts I overlooked that option, any recommendation for freee standing stoves.

if you're going to install a freestanding stove into an existing masonry fireplace i'd suggest one that is more convective than radiant.

i have been so focused on the inserts I overlooked that option, any recommendation for freee standing stoves.

Go big, and choose the one your wife likes.

Depending on the fireplace build you may be able to use the thermal mass to your advantage.

Here is a picture, should I not install a block off plate and allow the heat up the chimney to the cap?

Attachments

• IMG_20170124_092329.jpg
    IMG_20170124_092329.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 115
Looks like a very large, full masonry chimney? What is the depth at the top of the fireplace?
For an insert, the PE Summit would fit there. If the flue is large enough to accommodate an 8" liner then the Kuma Sequoia or Buck 91 insert would work.

You asked about a VC stove equivalent. Is this for another location or here?

Last edited:
No matter what stove you choose put a block off plate. I had an insert and had a block off plate then I went to a rear vent free stander and had to make another. The heat I get now is better than from the insert.

I have similar fireplace dimensions as you. See if you like any of the Osburn inserts, they're more of a straight, clean line design as opposed to the intricate designs of Enviro or VC. They also have large face plates that will cover your dimensions. There's either the 2400 or 2000 that should fit in there.

How open is the floor plan?

I have a full masonry chimney that extends out through the roof, the opening tapers until it reaches the flue which appears to be 10x14. I will post a picture. The fireplace opening is rectangular 40x32x32 and my floor plan is pretty open.

Seems like the free standing is the way to go, I do like the PE summit classic

Is the entire structure masonry, or is it 2x with a veneer? If it's solid masonry, I'd choose a radient stove and let it heat the house. If its veneer I'd go convective.

Is the entire structure masonry, or is it 2x with a veneer? If it's solid masonry, I'd choose a radient stove and let it heat the house. If its veneer I'd go convective.
Yes it is clearly a masonry chimney