install wood stove into existing triple wall?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burner22

Oct 25, 2014
N. Colorado
I am planning to install a Jotul F100 on the hearth of my existing prefab metal fireplace with a triple wall chimney. The hearth is brick and the fireplace surround is brick also, so there is plenty of clearance to combustibles for the stove pipe, which is 6", to exit the back of the stove, turn up 90 deg. and go into the triple wall chimney which is 8" in the inside pipe. The throat of the chimney just above the damper is 9" and tapers to the 8" pipe. I could use 6" 24 gauge stove pipe and a 6-8" reducer and wedge that tightly into the taper with some high temp silicone for good measure.
Everyone I ask around here freaks out about doing it this way and suggests lining the whole chimney (24') with 6" stainless flex (expensive). I've owned the house for 25 yrs and burned many fires in the old zero clearance fireplace (I'm a woodworker,so lots of hardwood scraps). I have inspected the chimney in the attic and down from the roof and cleaned it. After 25 yrs only two handfuls of soot from the cleaning, it is quite clean inside and in good shape and always drew well. The wood frame chimney is 2' x 5' so there is plenty of room around the pipe and framing penetrations are spaced with sheet metal.
I want to do the right thing and would most appreciate an honest answer as to installing this new stove.
Thanks so much

Greetings and welcome. Stove pipe is definitely not for installation in a chimney. A stainless liner is required for this installation. The 8" pipe is most likely air cooled and not rated for wood stove flue temps.

Yeah you need to line that chimney. I have a F100 and the great little stove needs a really strong draft. And if you just run stove pipe up the chimney condensation will corrode it and you will be replacing it every couple of years.

Save the work and extra grief and pick up a liner online or on eBay.

And don't even think about using silicone anything on a stove or chimney. The stuff vaporizes at 800 degrees.

Greetings and welcome. Stove pipe is definitely not for installation in a chimney. A stainless liner is required for this installation. The 8" pipe is most likely air cooled and not rated for wood stove flue temps.

You are right about it being air cooled and I have no idea what it's temp rating is. Thanks!

Yeah you need to line that chimney. I have a F100 and the great little stove needs a really strong draft. And if you just run stove pipe up the chimney condensation will corrode it and you will be replacing it every couple of years.

Save the work and extra grief and pick up a liner online or on eBay.

And don't even think about using silicone anything on a stove or chimney. The stuff vaporizes at 800 degrees.

I never thought about condensation, thanks, good to know it is a great little stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.