Installed a used Isle Royale

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bassmaster17327

Hearth Supporter
I bought a used Isle Royale to put in my cabin in West Virginia. It took me and my neighbor two hours to haul it up the 60 stairsteps to the house but now it is heating great. I could not figure out if I am missing a piece in the fire box, there is a grate that goes into the ash pan. It has nothing covering it so as I burn the ashes fall into the pan, is that how it is supposed to be or should there be a plate over the grate?

That's how it works. As you burn, most of the ash will stay inside the firebox and cover up the slots in
the grate. I use the edge of my rake to open up the slots when I want to reduce the ash in the firebox.
Glad to hear you got it moved and are enjoying the stove.

Thanks for the help, it is so much better than my other non epa stove. It dies seem to take a little longer to get warm but once the secondary burn starts it really heats. I bought a stove thermometer but forgot to take it with me, the only bad thing is that the secondary burn does not work when it is turned down low

bassmaster17327 said:
Thanks for the help, it is so much better than my other non epa stove. It dies seem to take a little longer to get warm but once the secondary burn starts it really heats. I bought a stove thermometer but forgot to take it with me, the only bad thing is that the secondary burn does not work when it is turned down low

The stove thermometer will help when you have it. The Isle Royale likes to run at high temps. Mine doesn't really
kick into cruise control until I get above 550. At that point, the primary air can be turned down low in two or
three stages without losing the secondary burn or dropping in temperature. I like to level off with my lowest primary
air setting at around 650. How low you can turn down the primary air will depend on your particular setup,
draft, and the moisture level of your wood. Some people can turn it all the way down. Mine levels off at 80% to 90%
closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.