Installed Therm Guard

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogieb

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2014
South Central NH
I have worried about my FHW pipes freezing as we get into the colder weather. The pipe to the bedrooms run thru the garage before surfacing thru the floor, and the garage stays about 10 degrees warmer than outside, so it is very conceivable they would freeze once the temps are consistently in the teens, single digits and especially below zero.

After getting an estimate for winterizing my pipes, at about $500, I figured I could by a whole bunch of propane and cycle the boiler in the morning when I get up, and when I get home from work. But, I still worried. Then I ran into some previous posts on this forum that mentioned the Therm Guard, and decided to give it a try (electrical klutz that I am).

Ordered the device on Monday and got it in the mail today. Set it up tonight (very easy, even for me), tested it, and tested the thermostat. Everything works! I will rest much easier with it cycling 3 times a day when the weather is cold (it is off right now).

Thanks to all the forum members that share their knowledge and introduce us newbies to useful products!

1ef3cf58-03db-4a6c-9323-827331dbb11c_zps09912b61.jpg

Yeah, I know the picture is sideways - photobucket editing tools aren't working as well as I'd like - get over it ;em Maybe next spring I will get brave and see if I can hook it direct to the boiler so I don't have it hanging off the thermostat, but for now I am good with it.

Do you need to install it at the thermostat or can you install it near the zone control valve? I've thought about getting one but I have three hearing zones. Now if I learn that you need to install it next to the thermostat, I definitely won't be buying them.

Like I said, I'm an electrical dummy so did it at the thermostat per directions. I read on another thread where someone hooked it directly to their boiler zoning system, so I might try that some time. I only have one zone and one thermostat. Also, I have left it hanging because of the possibility I may move it and/or, I may tear out that wall and replace the sheetrock (it's not in too good a shape). Otherwise I would attach it to the wall so it isn't just "hanging" there (not that that makes a huge difference in how it looks most likely).

Ok, what is that blue ring around the thermostat?

Just the trim piece that was pretty crappy when I bought the house so I painted it to match the front door and some other things in that room.

this will the second year with the therm guard, last year i had the frequency too often. this year, I dialed it way down. looking for a vast improvement. our thermostats are plug in type, so i just switch them during the winter as its a summer house.

Interesting product but it's crying out for a decorative cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.