Installing liner for pe summit insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
EPA stoves are limited in how far you can restrict the air intake. My Pacific Energy insert would require modifying the stove to restrict it any further and there is no place for a damper on an insert. Not that it is good idea to control a fire on a modern stove with a damper anyway.
I am fully aware that modern stoves limit how much you can shut them down if you have excessive draft you need to figure out how to fix it some modify the stove by partially covering the intake with foil tape of a magnet. That is actually in the install instructions of some stoves. I have also put reducers at the top to cut down on excess draft or downsize the liner for inserts for a freestander a damper is the obvious fix

It has always been a pet peeve of mine that these modern inserts dump so much excessively hot exhaust out the chimney with only a small noisy blower and 2 sf door radiating heat. Efficiency is measured by how much particulate escapes (EPA) and not by how much heat is radiated into the house. I think in terms of an integrated design where the entire system is taken into account. If you can extract more heat after complete combustion, then the fire can be smaller and there are less emissions including CO2.
This is not how all inserts work and if you fixed your over draft yours wouldn't either. I am sorry to say that it is not the stoves fault

Status
Not open for further replies.