Insurance Agent Yucks re: New Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see how having a safe, new EPA stove would be any different in those terms than having an old crapped out possibly dangerous Vigilant stove. In either case, if you have the oil furnace in the house, you still have oil as your "primary heat source" with wood as a "supplemental" source. Heck, I have a hi eff propane furnace as my main heat source and my supplental 24X7 insert that keeps the primary off most of the time.

It wouldn't hurt to shop around for competing quotes. Some agents are dense and some are not. Ask your neighbors or if there is a local chat list, ask there. I did and called the insurance co that had the most positive responses. It saved us a lot of money and they were very easy to deal with regarding the wood stove.

I second what KB said.

My "primary" source of heat might be the baseboard electric, which is original issue, from the 70s. Nobody says I have to turn it on...

Lots of folks have a woodburner for "just in case" or "when the power goes out..."

So, yeah, try another agent. That one is a nincompoop.

Nancy

I called mine today and she said all he has to do is come out and take a picture of it, nothing more. My rates will go up slightly but not much. Of course I'm going to ask why they are going to go up when I am closing off the fireplace and making my fires in a confined, this much safer, space.

fv

Status
Not open for further replies.