Introduction and question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CLVTCH

Sep 24, 2014
Saskatchewan, Canada
Hi all,

Been lurking around this forum for a while, grew up burning wood in an Osburn to heat the cabin. Now that I live on an acreage with my wife and am faced with $900 monthly electricity bills in winter, have decided to burn wood at home too. We just purchased and installed the new Pacific Energy Neo 2.5 in the living area of our house which has a vaulted ceiling, so I think this winter will be a lot more cozy! We have 2 cords of seasoned jack pine on standby to get us started, but I have a question of everyone.

I own a business in the wood manufacturing industry, and have access to a LOT of cut off pieces of oak, maple, cherry, alder, walnut, etc. I know that kiln dried hardwood will heat to a much higher temp than regular cord wood, but would it be acceptable to mix this hardwood with my cord wood all winter? If not I just pay to have it hauled away, and we throw out thousands of scraps a month at this point. I have purchased and will be installing a temperature gauge in the stove pipe to monitor things and keep the stove in the sweet spot, is this enough or is burning this hardwood not a good idea?

Thanks in advance!
Dustin

As long as its not stained or painted sure!

Welcome to the forum!

That's a nice looking stove you got there. I wish it would have been available when I bought mine. :confused: In addition to a flue thermometer I would also get one for the stovetop. You want to keep that under 800 F; between 600 F to 700 F is usually ideal during the peak stages of the burn. If the Neo behaves anything like my Super insert you will be fine with burning the lumber scraps. Last winter I burned a lot of dry pine and the first few times I had trouble controlling the stove but then I learned I had to turn down the air sooner than with my usual hardwood. It still peaked out at ~700 F but without making me nervous about running it too hot. Start with a few lumber pieces and stay with the stove to see how it goes and then work yourself up to filling the firebox completely one day. Each stove has a learning curve. I am sure after 1 to 2 weeks you know how your's burns.

P.S. We like to see pics and since the Neo is relatively knew a little review after a few months would be appreciated. :)

Last edited:
Most surely you can burn scrap wood from dimensional lumber . . . although I would avoid any wood that is painted or that has glue (like plywood, OSB, etc.) I tend to use most of this type of wood for starting a fire from a cold start or on those early morning re-starts, but you could also mix some in with the regular load.

Get yourself ahead as far as seasoned firewood goes, and mix that with what you have.

You'll be fine !

Welcome to the forums !

I wish I had gobs of "scraps" like that available. I'd add them to every load. I burn hardwood scraps in my shop routinely, never a problem. That's premium fuel. Just watch the temp. Rick

Mix the scraps in with larger cord wood. A stove loaded with lots of small diameter, kiln dried wood is going to take off and be hard to control.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I will post a picture of the install once my porcelain panels arrive and I have a chance to install. Right now it looks a bit jaggety without those panels.

My guess it will burn quickly and hot. It might not replace your all nighter rounds, but I'd be sending all you got over to your house.

Status
Not open for further replies.