Is it possible to connect a stove with 6" flue into a 5" chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan 10, 2011
northeast
Hi, I have a newly installed 5" inner diameter chimney, stainless dura-tech, about 18' tall, running inside the structure.
I have a stove with a 5" flue connected to iyt and it is too small. I would like to use a VC Resolute (non-catalyc) with this chimney. Is it OK?
Thanks for help!

Not sure, you can try it. Is this an old Resolute I or a newer one?

Yes, the original model did ok with a short flue. We had ours on a 12 ft flue and it worked fine. The newer model needs stronger draft, but for your stove I think you'll be ok as long as there are not a lot of elbows in the smoke path.

Is the liner insulated?

If everything about the 5" chimney spells "good draft" then I'd give it a try.

However if it was a 5" chimney with all sorts of elbows, surrounded by tall trees, below the roof line, mostly exposed to cold air - then I'd have a back-up plan.

It is a chimney with a single tee, no elbows; it is similar to the through the wall type of installation, but the whole thing is inside the house. I did not understand the question about it being lined, it is not a masonry chimney, it is an insulated class A pre-fab by Dura-tech....
Thanks!

Go for it. Should be ok. Come back and let us know how it works out. Love that stove.

Is this a recent purchase? If yes, clean out the passages as well as possible. I've read that taking it outside and using compressed air to blow them out works. Messy, but it helps. Otherwise do the best you can with a vacuum.

Thanks! The stove was purchased last January. I have disassembled it completely, cleaned out old cement and re-cementewd it. Thanks for the compressor idea! I will do that in the Summer!
Thanks so much for all the advice!

Thanks for using your social security number for your screen name. I love my new Porche.

Bah, never mind. Missing a number

I thought it was his prison id. :lol:

Sure, you are welcome to use this "SS #" to get your new Porshe! Don't be surprised if the 'recycle'it as you prison ID!
( Also, I did not know this is exclusively men's site!)

(Also, I did not know this is exclusively men’s site!)

Far from it. There are several very capable female burners here too. One just cleaned her chimney.

31086663 said:
Hi, I have a newly installed 5" inner diameter chimney, stainless dura-tech, about 18' tall, running inside the structure.
I have a stove with a 5" flue connected to iyt and it is too small. I would like to use a VC Resolute (non-catalyc) with this chimney. Is it OK?
Thanks for help!

According to my calculations ( :) ) the biggest danger of a chimney narrower than stove outlet is smoke roll out on reload, the second being reduced maximum burn rate. A 5" flue will have 70% of the airflow of an otherwise identical 6" flue with the door open.

HTH, and good luck.

( Also, I did not know this is exclusively men’s site!)

It's quite likely that it is a site frequented most often by men, but that certainly doesn't mean it is exclusive. You'll find it almost comical to watch the fellers trip overthemselves to help other ladies.

And I'm sure there was no insult intended by the assumption that you were male. When it seems that the majority of the members here are male we tend to get lazy in our assumption making.

Franks said:
avc8130 said:
BeGreen said:
(Also, I did not know this is exclusively men’s site!)

Far from it. There are several very capable female burners here too. One just cleaned her chimney.

Whoa, I didn't know this was THAT kind of site.
ac

boom chica bow bow.

I almost went with a "this thread is worthless without pics" but decided against it. Clearly I have changed my mind.
ac

Status
Not open for further replies.