Is this birch?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GeoFire

Oct 21, 2018
DC
20210214_171057.jpg

20210214_171052.jpg

20210214_171116.jpg

Thanks to everyobe last season
identify wood that i was scrounging up. I got lucky this year and have a neighbor taking down a really old huge tree. Theres at least 4 times as much wood remaining in their yard. But i got a bunch one evening last week. Hoping someone can help me identify this.
20210214_170925.jpg
20210214_170948.jpg

The bark looks like birch to me, indeed.

Reactions: Gearhead660
The bark looks like birch to me, indeed.
Yay thank you. Im going to borrow a friends splitter instead of using ths maul because i got a lot to process. Is their truth to it rotting quickly if left in rounds? How well does it split and dry out?

Rotting, yes.
Seasoning time; depends on how... I'd say at least a year.
When you have a splitter, you have nothing to fear...

It does look like birch. I was just splitting some today. Tree had fallen in the woods behind my house a while ago. Some of it was starting to get a little punky, but it'll still burn.

Does it smell like wintergreen when you split it? That's a telltale sign it's birch.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Black birch is the bark smells like birch root beer when you tear it.

I see a lot of black birch where I am. What I see in the pics is yellow birch. Very nice firewood

Definitely birch and yes it's prone to rot. Get it split, stacked, and top covered ASAP and you'll love it when it's ready.

Looks like birch. I'm guessing yellow birch.

Don't think I've ever encountered yellow birch.

Don't think I've ever encountered yellow birch.
Sometimes the bark can have a reddish tint. It looks like birch. Can grow pretty big. Beautiful bark.

I've got a whole grove of them in my front yard by the pond. Like 7 or 8 12-15" diameter trees. Nice looking bark and leaves that go yellow and fall early in autumn. Haven't tried tried burn any yet but im keeping an eye on one of the trees that's on the back 9.

I've got a whole grove of them in my front yard by the pond. Like 7 or 8 12-15" diameter trees. Nice looking bark and leaves that go yellow and fall early in autumn. Haven't tried tried burn any yet but im keeping an eye on one of the trees that's on the back 9.
If you have beavers, they may give you an assist. Where I worked yellow birch seemed to be a strong beaver preference.

Years ago we were on vacation in Vermont and behind a motel they had cut up a Yellow Birch tree, we saw it while we were taking a walk and my wife said "go ahead" meaning I could look at it lol! But I took it one more step, I went inside and asked them if I could have a round of it since I was into firewood and I never see Yellow Birch here in PA., they checked with the manager and they said that I could take one round lol! It burned very nice, I wish that I would find some around here but I don't.

• Haha
Reactions: D8Chumley
That stuff smells soooooooo nice when it's burning !! Get you your favorite drink and set up a chair outside as a log is burning inside and you'll find a little piece of paradise!!