Is this insulation Safe to use

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

yinpin

Burning Hunk
Jul 25, 2016
Kingsville, MD
Good Morning,
My wife decided that she wanted to white wash the hearth last week so I took apart the HI200 front covering to prep for paint. I got to thinking...I have a pile of insulation in the basement that came with a batch that I got from a construction buddy when I re-did a wall down there this spring. I wanted to add some insulation above the insert since it there is only a thin bit of insulation up there now. Can this insulation be used for that safely?
insulation.jpg

Roxul aka rock wool is the kind you would want for that application. Fiberglass is not ok for that. If what you have there is unknown type, I wouldn’t use it.

Good Morning,
My wife decided that she wanted to white wash the hearth last week so I took apart the HI200 front covering to prep for paint. I got to thinking...I have a pile of insulation in the basement that came with a batch that I got from a construction buddy when I re-did a wall down there this spring. I wanted to add some insulation above the insert since it there is only a thin bit of insulation up there now. Can this insulation be used for that safely?
View attachment 266196
It looks like Selkirks universal shielding insulation, which is made for this. Can you get in touch with your construction buddy to see if he knows? https://www.lowes.com/pd/SuperVent-...zk9iGkdbIfgs3uBeGzBoCLCYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds