Is this Jotul 118B worth fixing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I added a thick steel back plate to the interior rear of our 602. It made a very noticeable difference in the rear outside temps. This is a weak point of the older 602 and the plate solved the problem.

Maybe you can drill and tap or weld steel plate to the inside of the old side burn plates if they aren't cracking too bad. This would decrease your available firebox volume but should be much cheaper than $198 per each. It might not be feasible but I thought I would throw it out there as a possibility.

Jeff

Here’s an update on my re-build. I took BG’s advice and removed the rest of the top half.
I tried liquid wrench on the 4 bolts for week and when I tried to remove them I used heat and they still snapped. Drilled and re-taped with no problem.
I got lucky and was able to get the 2 ul side burn plates for $220. Delivered.
I should get the bottom burn plate next week. I ‘m lucky enough to a friend in our weld shop at work so he just did the front top plate for me. I have the top plate lower in the shop to get welded and should have that next week.

Attachments

• topplate1a2.JPG
    topplate1a2.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 256
Status
Not open for further replies.