Is this reasonable??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkommer

Jan 2, 2008
Kentucky
I received a bid today from a local stove company on installation. I plan to purchase an Englander when the price drops and install it in my insulated basement with the stove on an exterior wall and the flue going up the outside of the house. I will need 24 feet of pipe. the only type of flue they install is Duratech. I am pasting the bid below. Let me know if you think this price is reasonable.

1 - 8" Thru the Wall Kit Duratech Chimney 879.47
1 - 30 Degree set Elbows 8" Duratech 418.40
2 - Wall Straps 75.64
6 - 48 x 8 Sections 8" Duratech Flue 1355.35
1 - 24 x 8 Section 8" Duratech Flue 125.55
Black Pipe Single Wall 45.00
Tax 167.37
Delivery and Installation Flue 495.00

Wow! And that's NOT including the stove? :bug:

correct, I will be supplying the stove but they will be hooking it up. I will definately be getting several more bids but this price is much more than I expected.

No it isn't reasonable. The Englander stoves use a six inch pipe. Not eight inch.

Wrong chimney for the stove.

WOW, they are really ripping you on the DuraTech pipe, be careful, be very careful. And like BrotherBart said it takes 6 inch pipe.
That would be pretty bad, unless you are rich to spend 450 on the Englander and 3500 on the install for everything. Since you are buying the stove you can be picky, take your time.
Simpsons Dura-Vent is a great brand , most people use them so don't let them scam you and say "we are using the best chimney pipe so you are going to pay a little more." Simpsons DuraTech or DuraPlus to be exact, one is double wall the other is triple wall. Both work great

Just to let you know what I paid for my extra pipe, I paid 95.00 dollars for a 36 inch section of Class A 6 inch stainless steel DuraTech
This is my favorite website, really cheap prices
http://www.hearthsidedistributors.com :)

See this thread https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewreply/111131/ for what I paid at my local Menards store for chimney materials. My chimney is completely within the heated house envelope until it penetrates the ceiling at which point it goes to Class A. It is close to 24 ft overall height and total cost of materials was less than $500. In your case you will be using more class A so it will really pay to get the best deal on that. So far Menards cannot be beat on their class A price. I have seen more than 3x higher for the exact same material and some people think that the higher price is "normal"

thanks for all the replies. I am going to contact the store on Monday and ask for a revised bid with the correct pipe. And I am going to check out the websites and see if I can get everything I need to install for a fraction of the cost. without this site I would be lost. thanks again

jkommer said:
thanks for all the replies. I am going to contact the store on Monday and ask for a revised bid with the correct pipe. And I am going to check out the websites and see if I can get everything I need to install for a fraction of the cost. without this site I would be lost. thanks again
If you are able-bodied, have half a brain, aren't into yoga (oh, wait, that's a song, sorry) a do it yourself consideration is not far-fetched. With the experience these members have to offer, you can do it!

Wow! jkommer that is a lot of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.