Is vertical vent pipe required

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
X3. I believe the Manufacturers install specification in the manual takes precedence over the local code.
there are times the code will refer you to the manual. but, the local code always supersedes . it even supersedes the national code. I am not 100% sure why, because a lot of stuff should be written across the board. it would save a lot of screwing around.

there are times the code will refer you to the manual. but, the local code always supersedes . it even supersedes the national code. I am not 100% sure why, because a lot of stuff should be written across the board. it would save a lot of screwing around.

There is no national code it is the figment of the imagination of a bunch of people sitting in a non governmental office.

It is a list of things that some group wants to be implemented by all places and that is it.

While Smedley can refuse to install a stove because he follows only XXXX211 code, that code unless adopted by either the state (and even here it can get dicey) and/or the local set of jurisdictions. It isn't code there.

Basically the install has to satisfy the local yokels (provided the state gives the locals such control (not always btw or there is home rule in that state and the people voted for it in some way), your insurance company, and the manual.

If the local code says it must be vertical vent or the highway there best not be any according to the listed appliance makers instructions anywhere in the local yokel's code or the manual prevails.

I usually make a phone call when I have questions, frequently the initial answer is I'll call you back.

It can be fun reading code books there are so many outs they can frequently be laughed at.

It can even be more fun asking the CEO questions about code violations that they signed off on, oops.

There is no national code it is the figment of the imagination of a bunch of people sitting in a non governmental office.

It is a list of things that some group wants to be implemented by all places and that is it.

While Smedley can refuse to install a stove because he follows only XXXX211 code, that code unless adopted by either the state (and even here it can get dicey) and/or the local set of jurisdictions. It isn't code there.

Basically the install has to satisfy the local yokels (provided the state gives the locals such control (not always btw or there is home rule in that state and the people voted for it in some way), your insurance company, and the manual.

If the local code says it must be vertical vent or the highway there best not be any according to the listed appliance makers instructions anywhere in the local yokel's code or the manual prevails.

I usually make a phone call when I have questions, frequently the initial answer is I'll call you back.

It can be fun reading code books there are so many outs they can frequently be laughed at.

It can even be more fun asking the CEO questions about code violations that they signed off on, oops.
you are right. if the manual and the current code book have different versions on the same issue, the insurance company will not satisfy unless code is followed. there are way too many grey area's and it is an issue. the only people who benefits from it are the insurance companies. and you don't think they are going to try to clear it up do you? lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.