Is wood stove too close to the sliding doors?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FloridaMan

Jul 11, 2021
Florida
Good evening. Trying to locate the wood stove (PE Alderlea T4 LE) in the family room of a small home under design. The attached drawing is the "current" location; however, there is some concern that the stove is too close to the sliding door - wood frame & interior woodwork. The location meets the minimum clearance to combustibles, but do you think the long term exposure to the sliding door is a problem?

A second issue, this location would put the exhaust exiting the interior at the lowest part of the south facing roof (maximize solar potential). The total length would be >15 ft, so that meets the minimum requirement, too. However, the predominate wind direction is from the southwest - would it be better to have the exhaust stack closer to the ridge?

Thank you in advance for any and all insights.

Attachments

• Wood stove placement.pdf
    478.8 KB · Views: 296
What is the advantage of having the stove near the sliding door? Convenient for bringing the wood inside is the only thing that comes to my mind. I had a gas fp next to a sliding door for over a decade and found furniture placement with the two arranged close together so tedious that I sometimes debated removing the fireplace.

It is where "she who must be obeyed" would like it. She would like to be able to see the flames from across the room. I'm trying to get her to consider other locations - and start investigating furniture settings that would work in the space. Any ideas?

It is where "she who must be obeyed" would like it. She would like to be able to see the flames from across the room. I'm trying to get her to consider other locations - and start investigating furniture settings that would work in the space. Any ideas?
That's too funny,thanks for the chuckle

Looking at the plan, I don't see an issue. The Alderlea's heat is buffered by the cast iron jacket. It is not intensely radiant. we have an overstuffed chair about 3 ft away from our corner installed T6 and a large window on the other side. There have been no issues at all with this larger version of the T4.

What is the advantage of having the stove near the sliding door? Convenient for bringing the wood inside is the only thing that comes to my mind. I had a gas fp next to a sliding door for over a decade and found furniture placement with the two arranged close together so tedious that I sometimes debated removing the fireplace.
Another advantage is that it puts the heat near the source of heat loss. That can lead to better room comfort.

Sounds good like begreen said for better room comfort..I got a chuckle too "she who must be obeyed" good for her...lol lol Glad you are listening to your better half...men should always listen to their love ones because life becomes "nicer" that way---lol lol..old mrs clancey

Looks like a good place to me