Issue with Kent Tile Fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Kent Tile file from the late 80's. It's been working great for a couple of year, but now, whenever the stove starts getting hot, the bypass lever is getting stuck about half way in. I tried lubing the parts I can access without taking the chimney off, no luck. The lever moves freely when the stove is cold.

Could this be from creosol buildup? If so, I guess I just need to get the chimney cleaned?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pete Herrmann

Hello, i have this same stove. Mine has the warped plate.
I'm actually looking for a new stove to replace this one.
The trick I've been doing is pull the lever about 3-4 inches out then pull up and you should be able to open the door. Then lift up when closing door.
If i pull mine all the way out, i have to hit the lever back in.

Thanks a lot for the reply. Yeah I took the pipe off, confirmed the plate has a small crack around the lip of the hole that the hockey puck covers. When the stove is cold the lever moves freely, but once the pipe gets to about 350, I can't move the lever at all.

So what I'm doing now, is just adjusting the air intake, and running the stove with the bypass wide open. Hoping to replace the stove next year.

Hello, i have this same stove. Mine has the warped plate.
I'm actually looking for a new stove to replace this one.
The trick I've been doing is pull the lever about 3-4 inches out then pull up and you should be able to open the door. Then lift up when closing door.
If i pull mine all the way out, i have to hit the lever back in.

Try that trick, it works for me.
I had to pull the Kent labeled piece off right above the door, so i can see the door lock mechanism. Don't pull up to much cause it's a pain to line up the slot.
Mine cracked at the bypass and is going up. Making it really tough to close if i pull it out all the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.