it's like 100 degrees here today and i am surfing hearth.com

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevebass4

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Franklin MA
something is wrong with me ;)

can't wait for the cold weather so i can burn what i cut / split and stay toasty warm inside the house again

i love my insert and burning wood - best heat ever

Stevebass4 said:
something is wrong with me ;)

can't wait for the cold weather so i can burn what i cut / split and stay toasty warm inside the house again

i love my insert and burning wood - best heat ever

Amen!

But while your waiting, wonder on over the "Green Room" and figure out how to save some money (or lessen environmental impact) during the cooling season.

I was joking about firing up the wood stove last weekend. I think I could get the room heated up to 300 degrees. Powers out, a big black cloud blew down a feed line so every one is out. Still got some battery in this note book. Throw another log on the fire will ya.

I hear you loud and clear. Just had my Hampton insert installed a couple of weeks ago and wanted to spark it up when it was 58 degrees at night the next day. Good thing my wife is here to keep me in check. I can't wait!!

I am stuck here until airconditioning.com comes around on the web.

Welcome bluelaker and congrats on the new stove. Fire it up when it's 58. That way you can open some windows while burning off the factory oils. It might smoke a little for the first couple fires so you might as well enjoy a couple breakin fires with the windows open.

I guess we are the truly obsessed, waiting for it to turn cold enough to light up the stove again, but you know?, I can't wait. I have my wood catoagorized now, hemlock and slightly punky stuff here for quick heat and off season, small stuff for just removing a chill. I've got my apple over there when I want that wonderful aroma, the sugar maple in this pile, red oak seperate from the white, a bit of ash here, black locust here, the oak is by far my mainstay though I have lots of locust. some elm and red maple for utility wood. A little hickory and cherry but hope to get a bit more of each, lots of each of black and white birch, some yellow.

I hate to say it but we're sending an even hotter wave to the east. Portand was 102 today. Tomorrow is supposed to be 97 in Seattle, which is extremely rare temps for us. My sons and I are heading to the ocean to camp overnight. The house siding is about 3/4 done. We're going to take a break and will start again on Friday when it's a lot cooler.

My job today was digging hand digging footings the locatin is in the sun all day 4' deep in our climate zone gravel and rocks
I finished 3 today. Very hot 95 and opressive humidy and sun. Around 3:00 I got dizzy and had to stop and rest in the shade for quite some time.
Finally I got enough energy to pick up the tools. Tomorrow I will start at 7:00 Am. mixing concrete and digging the other 3 footings.

I thing my body is telling me I getting too old for this

elkimmeg said:
My job today was digging hand digging footings the locatin is in the sun all day 4' deep in our climate zone gravel and rocks
I finished 3 today. Very hot 95 and opressive humidy and sun. Around 3:00 I got dizzy and had to stop and rest in the shade for quite some time.
Finally I got enough energy to pick up the tools. Tomorrow I will start at 7:00 Am. mixing concrete and digging the other 3 footings.

Heat stroke is serious business. Take care of yourself when doing heavy work in the heat. Drink a ton of fluids and wear a sunshading hat. That helps a bit. But 95 degrees and high humidity means start work real early and go until noon, and then take a loooong lunch. Come back around 4 if you're up to it and have at it again.

Hey wrench! How were temps in Yakima today?

elkimmeg said:

Why are you digging by hand when you have such a nice elm splitting and hole making tool?

At any rate, I'd second the other recomendations for tons of fluids and electrolyte balancers - those sports drinks and energy sodas are way overpriced, but IMHO they are worth it when the weather is this hot. Back before I started low carbing, I found that I couldn't stand the taste of Gator-aide when the weather was normal, but if I was hot and sweaty, I could chug a quart bottle and still want more... Now I can't drink the stuff because of the carbs, but the no-carb energy sodas go down great if you can stomach the $1.50/can price tag. :gulp: I find the big secret for me is that I don't want ice cold fluids, they make my stomach cramp up, instead I want room temperature or just a bit under...

Gooserider

Highs in the mid-low 60's forecast all week here (Munising), with lows in the 40's and low 50's. I probably will have a fire or two. I'm sure the 90's will be here soon enough though.

A hand dug footing hole is far superior than one dug witha backhoe. One has to factor in the ark of the machine . A 12' sono tub can be placed in a 16" hole
The backhoe needs a 4 plus foot ark aLL THE TIME SAVED WITH THE BACK HOE means more lawn and yard work to restore plus an over dug hole has more chances to shift
or drift, in a larger hole due to settlement.. That is why hand digging a tight hole is better Possibly easier in the long run to boot. There are time when the work choose you and you not the work

money earned this week hinges upon installing footings as does next weeks money. Unfortunately I get paid when I produce. Nobody pays me to sit around an air conditioned office. So one has to learn their limitations today I got a reminder.

Status
Not open for further replies.