It's Poplar folks not Popular

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wg_bent

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Poughkeepsie, NY
While all trees are popular, only one type is Poplar.

You can't burn an adjective!!

And there are several different poplars which always makes it confusing when someone just says "poplar". BTU ranges vary but its never more than 18 mill BTU/cord. There is balsam poplar (also called cottonwood, but cottonwood can also refer to three different species of poplar), then there is "yellow poplar" (also called tulip tree), and there is "Hybrid poplar" and "black poplar", etc.

Burn-1 said:
It's 'popple' if you're a Yankee woodburner

itn't a popple one of those stuffed animals that turn into a ball? i had one as a kid. up here we call poplar weed. it grows too fast for its own strength and falls over, usualy on a house. if you go out to the forest to get some firewood. you can find huge piles of poplar that the lumber co. leaves behind

"You can’t burn an adjective!!"

DUH, that's why I kindle with scrap proverbs....

whats a u here or there

It's called aspen in Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota.

Of course out East you also have yellow (tulip) poplar. Neither is very popular for firewood, however.

I burn adjectives all the time: "gnarley," "ugly," "humongous." and "heavy."

Eric Johnson said:
It's called aspen in Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota.

Of course out East you also have yellow (tulip) poplar. Neither is very popular for firewood, however.

I burn adjectives all the time: "gnarley," "ugly," "humongous." and "heavy."

Hey Eric, leave Michigan out of this. It is still popple here! lol

btw, popple is fair to burn in early Fall (okay, Autumn) and late Spring. But I still think it is best to get the dead popple, preferably that which has lost it's bark. Burns quick without roasting everyone.

Some don't like popple and feel it is a waste of time. They call it a junk wood or $h!+ wood. I came up with my own name and call it 'poople'.

Catalpa wood - same deal. I came up with 'craptalpa'.

I burn both and really like both. Craptalpa is some tough stuff to split though.

Luke

Status
Not open for further replies.