Jamestown J1000

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanF

Dec 6, 2009
Northern Ontario
Hello, I am planning on replacing my Jamestown J1000 exhaust fan (Fasco 7121-11559, Type SJ-201100-81R02QJAA) and I have been quoted a ridiculous $660 for the assembly, the stove is only 3 years old. It started to make a rattling noise, probably a bearing. I'm concerned about the quality of the OEM fan, and I would like to cross reference the motor to try a different brand.

Can anyone point me to a good resource, or provide help determining potential replacement motors from scratch? I cannot find much information online about the current motor, but I could measure bolt patterns, shaft length and estimate specs for temp rating I suppose.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, feel free to contact me if you are a parts vendor as well.

Ryan

Have you ever cleaned the impeller and the cavity it sits in?

I took it apart yesterday, and the cavity was relatively clean. There was some soot / creosote build up but I would say it was minimal. I ran the fan once it was disconnected and I'm pretty sure it is a bearing. It seems like the part number on the motor might be specific to the stove, but there must be suitable alternatives. I've contacted Jamestown and Fasco to see what their response will be, I'll post anything I hear back from them. I doubt they will be all that helpful if they are trying to sell replacement units for $660!

Might possibly find a replacement using the specs. Try grainger.com

I have an '00 baby bear that I got for cheap last fall. Its combustion blower was making noise too - pretty obnoxious. I messed around trying to replace the bearings, ended up re-packing the originals - quieted it down some but was pretty much a waste of time. I ended up getting a high-temp blower complete from Grainger for around a hundred bucks and made a housing for it out of an old stainless cap I had kicking around so I could put it on the top of my pipe outside. It's a squirrel cage blower - moves air very efficiently, and is quiet, for a 3k rpm blower. Plus, it's outside ;-) Surprisingly, at the end of the pipe (38" rise from wall thimble) it doesn't get very dirty - needs cleaning every couple of tons. It's easy to reach and I can take it off the pipe in about a minute - a lot easier than pulling it out of the stove was. A bottle brush and a vac and it's good to go. I made a plate to cover the top of the housing where the old blower was, ran some romex through the wall from the connectors on the stove, and have a speed control mounted on the stove. I run it at about 1/3 capacity and it has plenty of suck. Between the speed control and the air intake butterfly valve I have a lot of control over the air flow through the stove which helps me get good burn characteristics from pellets of varying quality. I like the fact that it's drawing the entire length of the pipe too, rather than sucking to the housing and blowing from there out. Did I mention it's quiet? Can't even hear it. Just the auger motor, the little clink of pellets dropping, and the circ. fan, which are a lot quieter than even a new combustion blower. Not sure which wise guy decided that putting a 3k rpm electric motor in a box of sheet metal to feature in your living space was a clever acoustic concept...Just a thought.
BlowerBareWeb.jpg
BlowerUnitWeb.jpg

Hello Midfielder,
I really like your setup, I've thought about that option. It seems like a much better solution since the stove and all the piping would be under negative pressure, theoretically eliminating any odour indoors. Plus the quietness of the whole arrangement. Do you know if this would affect insurance in the event something went wrong? Even if it was unrelated they might claim it was a modification etc...

Hello Midfielder,
I really like your setup, I've thought about that option. It seems like a much better solution since the stove and all the piping would be under negative pressure, theoretically eliminating any odour indoors. Plus the quietness of the whole arrangement. Do you know if this would affect insurance in the event something went wrong? Even if it was unrelated they might claim it was a modification etc...
Thanks - I've been really happy with it. About insurance, well, I suppose maybe - I don't really know; however, I am sure that the pellet stove, even modified, is a lot safer than the wood and coal stoves I've run over the years. I am extremely careful with any solid fuel appliance so I'm not too worried about it - not that I'm recommending that attitude to you :eek:. It's not an auto-light model so it's not cycling on and off all the time and my wife works out of the house so we rarely leave the stove unattended.

Enviro has options for an exerior mounted exhaust fan too....ill find the parts #. First time i saw that thought it useless....but have come to understand why its cool.
True dat - it's what I modeled mine on.

Status
Not open for further replies.