Jotel 550 vs. Lopi Declaration (Avalon perfect fit)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
WNY Whaler,
I am new to the game. Can you give me an idea about the cost? I am looking into the same Rockland C550 and I get the feeling I've been ripped off -- dealer demanding about $4k for the black matt painted model + 25' SS liner + mantel shield + installation. Also, can you take a photo with the heatshield -- it would be helpful to see how it looks with it (I would need the shield, too). Thanks, thanks a LOT.
-krok

Kroki

I went to 4 different shops and the prices on the 550 was the same everywhere. The biggest difference was the price of install. Most of the places where $4000 plus with install. We did find one place that was having a sale and the install was less. It is costing me $3100 for the 550. I don't know which part of MA you are in but if you private message me I will let you know where I went and which place I settled on.

Thank you Soxfan! $3100 is much better than what I've been offered, provided it includes the SS liner and the installation. Maybe now is the worst time of year to buy !?

BTW, have you installed it already? Do you like it? Some people say you can save on fuel -- I don't believe it, especially if you are not into the business of cutting and seasoning wood. I am thinking of buying it mostly for the confort and the joy out of it -- that's probably why $4000 seems expensive...

-Krok

kroki - Did you see the heat shield at the shop? I haven't seen one and want to know how they look too. Dealer doesn't know what they look like either and is going to call jotul and ask about it for me. I will need one too or will have to move my mantel up about 5". I haven't seen any pics of one and don't even know where they attach to the insert.

I'm in Colorado and I paid approx 2300.00 for the 550 and the surround combined. My install will be about 400 -600 extra. It would have cost more for the install but I already have a ss liner with the insert I have in there now which they will use again as it is in good condition. I'm also having a bottom block off plate made and that will be an additional 125.00.

It is a piece of sheet metal, painted black, about 5" deep and as wide as the stove without the surround, comes out of the top of the surround at 45 degree angle, pointing up. Looks a bit like an inverted roof coming out of the top of the surround. Looks integral with the insert, not too ugly imho.

KROKI- Thanks for the measurements. That doesn't seem like too much of an eyesore to me either and a heck of a lot easier than moving my mantel and trying to cover up the holes in my brick that moving it will leave behind.

My install date is set for Feb. 11 depending on our weather. Now that all the decisions are made I just have to wait..

kroki said:
It is a piece of sheet metal, painted black, about 5" deep and as wide as the stove without the surround, comes out of the top of the surround at 45 degree angle, pointing up. Looks a bit like an inverted roof coming out of the top of the surround. Looks integral with the insert, not too ugly imho.

Hi all- been out of town and recently looked at the forum. My chimney is external and approx. 19', no block off plate was installed at the damper just well insulated. The cost of the unit/options/install was $3500. Here is a picture with the hearth extender & heat shield.

Attachments

• DSCN2750.JPG
    DSCN2750.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 539
  • DSCN2753.JPG
    DSCN2753.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 465
WNY Whaler - Thanks for the reply and photo. I got my shield in the mail today and it looked a lot different than I had imagined it but it looks like the one you have posted here. I was expecting it to be attached at the top of the insert - not the surround and I expected it to have more of an angle and extend out only about 5". My insert won't be installed for a couple of weeks and I will go ahead and attach the shield to it and see how it looks. Easy enough to remove if it bugs us too much and we can get our mantel moved higher but that will leave holes to be patched in the bricks where it was attached which won't look too good either. This shield seems like an easier solution. Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.