jotul 450 cracked cast iron

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muranomaddness

Feb 27, 2011
pa
let me start by saying that i love my jotul I used it to heat my entire downstairs of my house successfully, however I had difficulty closing the door and after a closer examination I noticed that just above the right door the cast iron is cracked all the way threw along with one of the decorative portions . The insert is only one season old and I have no idea what could have caused this. I have a temp gauge and have never over heated it. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem or might have some insight of why this happened. I believe this would be under warrantee but unsure. Do you think this is covered

It could be a casting defect. If so it should be warranted. Can you post a picture?

Thats too bad, but jotul is a great company and will take care of you.

Welcome to the forum.

thanks i have been on this forum many times and have gotten a lot of grate info i am trying to put a pic up of the crack. It good to hear that jotel stands behind their product. I figure they are a good company.

They have not been building stoves this long without taking care of their customers.
Have never heard of one cracking where you mentioned. Interested in seeing the pic.

If your camera has a little "flower button" that will enable the multi-focus which can help you take good close ups for things inside of 24 inches.

If that helps.

pen

How long have you had your C-450? I too would be curious to see a pic when you have time. I am sure we can do something for you. What dealer did you get it through? The first step is to contact them so they can gather the info to see what needs to be done to make the repair.

I got it at salters in pa I haven't given up on the pic I'm still working on it thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20110226_202951.jpg
    IMG_20110226_202951.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 641
nice it worked if you look closely their is a crack on the right side above the door and i guess what you would call the grill is broken right next to the largest crack. Their is one more just to the right of the latch thanks

the jotel c450 is only one season old I bought it on 11/20/10 like I said I have been extremely happy with the inserts performance and quality build except for this, which is kind of major problem. Luckily hear in pa its getting warmer and I wont have to use the insert to heat my home. When the store I bought it from opens I will discuss it with them. I'll keep posting what happens thanks

muranomaddness said:
I got it at salters in pa I haven't given up on the pic I'm still working on it thanks
Holy cow!I've never used a Jotul 450 but I did consider it when I was looking last time .Good luck.

I'm sure it's just a bad pice of cast.It should be covered.

muranomaddness said:
with the reputation of jotel you would hope they would back their product thanks for the reassurance

Jotul :)

north of 60 said:
muranomaddness said:
with the reputation of jotel you would hope they would back their product thanks for the reassurance

Jotul :)

yotal?

That probally will be warrentied as we had one crack for a customer of ours just like your, and jotul did replace it. The only issue with replaceing it is that the bolts will have a lot of stuff on the threads were you can't get to them and so what we had to do was lossen the bolt a little put on some wd-40 tighten and repeat for the next hour.

yodul?

Keep us posted on how it goes with yotil (?). I am currently looking at the F600 and would be interested in hearing how they handle this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.