Jotul Oslo F500 owners... log size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dali Lima

Oct 22, 2007
Central Connecticut
Hi there... I just ordered some wood for my new Oslo and I can't seem to find the optimal log size for the stove. I just read through the entire manual and it doesn't specify the size. I was planning on 20 inch logs... is that too large for this stove? What size do you use for best results? Thanks!

I use 18" but I run a Castine in addition to the Oslo. You will be OK but you might want to cut some of them in 1/2 to give you some more flexibility.

the F500 takes up to 22 inch log cut your wood 18-20 and you should be good.

Just make sure that the logs have Oslo stamped on them and you will be fine. No seriously, what ever fits in the stove will work 18, 16, chunks, scraps,

Dali,

If you use the side door which I do exclusively, I found if I use a couple of 6" splits on the bottom longer than 18" it takes up a lot of space at the door opening and you can't put very much more wood in the stove.

Jim

Fouth year with Oslo.......20 inches is what we cut, works perfect. I can fit a pretty good (honk'in) sized split through the front at 20"
When you pack it at night from the side.......you have some room just incase you plow coals up against the opposite wall.
Anything shorter will look lost....you wanna take up as much airspace as possible for a good long burn.

WoodButcher

WOODBUTCHER said:
Fouth year with Oslo.......20 inches is what we cut, works perfect. I can fit a pretty good (honk'in) sized split through the front at 20"
When you pack it at night from the side.......you have some room just incase you plow coals up against the opposite wall.
Anything shorter will look lost....you wanna take up as much airspace as possible for a good long burn.

WoodButcher

Oh you like all those ashes that fall out when you open the front door?. Thats the only P poor design of that stove. Use the side door guy, much less mess

Hanko said:
WOODBUTCHER said:

WoodButcher

Oh you like all those ashes that fall out when you open the front door?. Thats the only P poor design of that stove. Use the side door guy, much less mess

Oh boy.....another chest beating competition over stove operation.

WoodButcher

Status
Not open for further replies.