Jotul Oslo Install Conundrum: Back Clearances w/ Single Wall Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

apostasy_mcgee

Dec 31, 2009
Hudson Valley - NY
It's been over six months since my last post but after such a long wait, I finally had my Jotul Oslo installed yesterday. Though I bought the stove from a store down South, the installers were from The Trading Post, a very reputable outfit out of New Milford, Connecticut. Overall, I'm quite pleased with the final look of my stove and chimney but there is one nagging detail that is bothering me enough to seek the counsel of those in this forum.

My Oslo has the rear heat shield installed and is connected to the chimney directly out the back. (See attached photo.) According to the Jotul manual, the clearance required with double wall pipe is 6 inches from the end of the rear smoke outlet. (See schematics.) As it is now, I have 7 inches clearance from that point and about 10-12 inches from the true back of the stove depending on where you measure it from. However, after the installers left I realized that the small three inch segment of stove pipe is in fact single wall pipe. (See second attached photo for closeup.) Again, according to the manual, this set up requires 10 inches of clearance from the back wall as measured from the end of the smoke outlet. (At least that's how I personally interpret the schematics of the manual.)

When I emailed the rep from the Trading Post who's been working with me from the start to ask him if his installers did indeed use single wall pipe, he replied back that single wall pipe is okay for the install I have and that double wall pipe would only be required if my chimney were going up and out.

My question is this: should I be concerned with the safety of my set up or am I just being paranoid? My stove hasn't been inspected yet but I really hate the idea of not passing due to a simple error. Worse, even if it does pass and I receive the required Certificate of Compliance from my town, I certainly don't want to burn my house down because of this three inch segment of pipe being single instead of double wall. Also, after paying $950 for installation, I expect best practices to have been followed and unless a consensus of responders to this post agree that all is well as is, this issue will nag at me.

I've asked the Trading Post rep to phone me back ASAP but I wanted to get some alternate perspectives from the good folks at hearth.com to see if my concerns are indeed justified. Many thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing your takes on this matter.

Attachments

• IMG_14531.jpg
    IMG_14531.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_14541.jpg
    IMG_14541.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 324
  • Oslo Clearance 1.jpg
    Oslo Clearance 1.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 356
  • Oslo Clearance 2.jpg
    Oslo Clearance 2.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 303
I'm not a fan of taking minimum clearances literally and like to exceed them where it's reasonably possible. It looks like you have plenty of hearth room in front of the stove to scoot it forward enough to put in a 6" section of double-wall and adapter. So consider this an option. Or if you want to stay with the current install, Jotul offers the option of putting a connector shield over the short section of pipe.

The single-wall clearance I think is to be taken perpendicular to the pipe wall, and in that direction you have plenty of clearance since your pipe stub is horizontal. The pictures in the manual are assuming a vertical pipe. Consider that where single-wall pipe meets a thimble or ceiling adapter it is almost always closer than 18" to the surrounding wall or ceiling, just not in the perpendicular direction. The reason this is generally OK is that the radiation primarily travels normal to the surface, give-or-take some diffraction effects. So I think you're fine but if you want some peace of mind slap a little bit of pipe shield over that puppy. The ultimate test is simply to run a continuously hot fire for hours and feel the wall. If nothing gets too hot then you're golden.

"I’ve asked the Trading Post rep to phone me back ASAP but I wanted to get some alternate perspectives from the good folks at hearth.com to see if my concerns are indeed justified. Many thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing your takes on this matter. "

preston trading post?
(sorry missed the new milford part first time)

Status
Not open for further replies.