1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Jotul Wintergrill!!

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Hawkeye, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Member

Loc:
    Iowa City, Iowa
    OK folks, I tried out the wintergill this afternoon in my F50 Rangeley.

I'm in love!! I put on a deer tenderloin and a chop (backstrap) - we eat a lot of venison but this turned out to be the best we've ever had. Our girls (4 yr and 20 months) couldnt' get enough.

I let the fire drop to coals, and had a temp of about 250 in the center of the top plate. After putting the loins in, I added two hickory logs and cut the air. After about 5 minutes it started to smoke nicely. After cooking/smoking for about 1-1/2 hours, we ended up with nicely hickory smoked venison.......needless to say the front glass got a bit dirty but I don't mind!!!!

Here's a pic. I'd show you the final product but we ate all of it.

jotul winter grill.jpg

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jrcurto

jrcurto Member

Loc:
    Southern Connecticut
    Nice! I have to get the grill insert now. I grill venison, steak, and salmon in a grill basket over the coals through the front door and ooh so good. I burn a lot of hickory too, its the best. I am going to try some fish over a very low heat in the wintergrill and see how that smokes it. The meat has to be very dry to start so a rub is in order. Im hungry
  3. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Member

Loc:
    Iowa City, Iowa

Yep I forgot to add - after patting it dry I put a rub on the venison. A combination of Butt Rub, and garlic salt. I let it sit at room temp with the rub on for about an hour before cooking.
  4. topoftheriver

topoftheriver Member

Loc:
    Northeast
    What model does it fit into? I truely haven't heard of it. Fill me in, if you please.
  5. turbocruiser

turbocruiser Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Rocky Mountains Majesty
    That's a totally cool feature! On mine I would have to use trivets and get the grillpan out but that is a slick setup.
  6. fishingpol

fishingpol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    Nice job. The smell of that would drive the neighbors crazy.
  7. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    "OK folks, I tried out the wintergill this afternoon in my F50 Rangeley."
    Joful likes this.
  8. Todd 2

Todd 2 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    That pic makes me wish I had a F50. Big fan of deer tenderloin here, and hickory smoked to boot !
    Looks very tasty Hawkeye:)
  9. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Member

Loc:
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Yep - begreen highlighted it.....it's a Jotul. Jotul F50 Rangeley.
  10. Prof

Prof Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Western PA
    It would be great to have a dedicated grill like that. Of course, I make due--something about hot coals just makes grilling meat seem like the thing to do. I throw some wet hickory bark on the coals to get some hickory flavor going. It's a shame I just finished dinner--I wish I was hungry again! DSC00992.JPG
    Todd 2 likes this.