Just a bit of snow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
It got a little snowy in California in the past week. Yosemite Valley got 5-7 ft. Mammoth Lakes got 8-10 ft. Might be a bit of a challenge for your average snowblower.

mammoth lakes.jpg

I'm in the lower Sierra Foothills at 1400 ft. We very seldom got snow but today we got a couple inches. The rest of the county is all shut down.

Opposite of what we're getting around here. I've seen my lawn at least twice since November, which isn't normal at all, normally it's covered Nov 1 to end of March. Mountains haven't got a lot, was out riding a couple weeks ago and we're still seeing trees and bushes that are normally buried at least a month earlier.

At least we don't have to worry about high water in the rivers come spring, but they'll probably be pretty low come August.

I'm in the lower Sierra Foothills at 1400 ft. We very seldom got snow but today we got a couple inches. The rest of the county is all shut down.
Some of the reports today have been epic.

Reactions: VintageGal
Opposite of what we're getting around here. I've seen my lawn at least twice since November,
Ours is green and growing in spite of temps being 10º below normal. I mowed it last week, then it snowed an inch or two, but that's all gone now.

Ours is green and growing in spite of temps being 10º below normal. I mowed it last week, then it snowed an inch or two, but that's all gone now.
When I first moved to the PNW I was very surprised to see my neighbors mowing their lawns in January. One doesn't see that in the New England states...

Last edited:
25% of the homes in Nevada County are without power. The 2 dealerships sold a lot of wood stoves last year. I was one of them. I don't see any other way to survive this kind of epic snowfall ...

.25% of the homes in Nevada County are without power. The 2 dealerships sold a lot of wood stoves last year. I was one of them. I don't see any other way to survive this kind of epic snowfall ...
Good for you in being prepared. Hope they restore power soon. I imagine there is the hum of generators in the air too. This is a cold winter on the west coast. We've been 10º below average all of February and our wood stash shows it.

Reactions: VintageGal
Hopefully they save a bit for next year.
Farmers are flooding their fields to help recharge the shallow aquifers. They will need a few years of this to come out of the drought, but it helps. I hope this in turn reduces wildfires this year.

You bet! And I’d rather see them dump it in the fields than let it all run to the ocean, although that needs to happen to flush the rivers too.