Just bought 2 stoves (Madison, Tranquility)...I'm now a nervous wreck.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hesta

Mar 21, 2017
Idaho
Bought this house in September, came with an old pellet stove upstairs, and a propane stove downstairs for heat. My husband and I decided to try them out. Had an old non-EPA stove (an old Timberlake) at our old place (we were there 10 years), so we aren't strangers to wood, but we've never bought our own stoves. 1000 sq ft downstairs, 1000 up, with a 700 sq ft loft. We're in the Idaho mountains.

Well, propane stove is noisy, and costs about $1000 to fill for a winter's use. Pellet stove is noisy, you can't cook on it, or put water on it for humidity. The electric goes out here a lot, which means running extension cords throughout the house to operate the stoves (small generator outside). A pain. Used 4 tons of pellets, also $1000. So, $2000 total to heat this place in the winter. Costs about $250 out of pocket for permits and gas for 10 cord we get ourselves. You get the picture.

Just bought a Madison (for upstairs) and a Tranquility (for downstairs) this morning from AMFMEnergy, refurbished, for a total of $1300, and an AC30 fan upgrade for the Madison. Reading some posts on this site made me think it is a good decision. However, spending that kind of money makes me a nervous wreck. Some reassurances from folks here who know more than I would be greatly appreciated. We're going to have to burn pine, cause that's all there is up here. Thanks for any input!

Reactions: spirilis
Start splitting and stacking now in a windy sunny spot, that is my advice. So are you using existing chimneys?

Yes. Have to change out some parts old stoves both have 4" flues, new stoves are 6", but our neighbor is going to help us with the install. He's familiar with code, and the installation manuals are available online.

Just bought a Madison (for upstairs) and a Tranquility (for downstairs) this morning from AMFMEnergy, refurbished, for a total of $1300, and an AC30 fan upgrade for the Madison....

Oh I'm sure you'll love the stoves and the quality of the heat. I don't know the Madison or the Tranquility, I'll let others comment on that, but , if they are the new EPA style, they will be wood misers

Have you given a thought to the chimney?

I have a two story house, and the downstairs stove is enough for both stories, so I'm not sure why you need the second. stove. The thought of carrying wood upstairs all winter makes me tired, but you may be hardier stock. I'd try just one stove downstairs for a while and see how that works.. it will save you the cost of a second chimney

Like you, I thought my propane wall heater was way too loud. Back before I had an EPA stove, the old smoke dragon would give out at 3 or 4 am, the propane would come on, and the fans would wake all in a call to reload the stove. With the new EPA stove, it just burns all night

Reactions: Hesta
$1300 for 2 appliances is a low cost investment. The Madison should make big heat. It reportedly burns hot and fast! I'm not familiar with your other stove. That Madison will blow away that pellet stove for sure!

Oh I'm sure you'll love the stoves and the quality of the heat. I don't know the Madison or the Tranquility, I'll let others comment on that, but , if they are the new EPA style, they will be wood misers

Have you given a thought to the chimney?
Using existing chimneys. Need the second stove, because down at the bottom of the stairs is a pantry that needs to stay cool. We don't use the downstairs much, except to do laundry and sleep. And all the water works originate from downstairs, and I have an aversion to frozen pipes. And the way the house is laid out, you really need 2 stoves. It's kind of squirrelly. And a stove on the first floor only would make it too hot in the sleeping area, and too cold in the loft.

Yes. Have to change out some parts old stoves both have 4" flues,
You need to change out more than some parts unless those other stoves were vented into larger chimneys.

$1300 for 2 appliances is a low cost investment. The Madison should make big heat. It reportedly burns hot and fast! I'm not familiar with your other stove. That Madison will blow away that pellet stove for sure!

Thanks. I really hate that pellet stove after having had wood. Plus the 2 days I spent freezing when the auger motor went out, didn't do it for me either.

Reactions: webby3650
You need to change out more than some parts unless those other stoves were vented into larger chimneys.
Yeah, I know, but thankfully, our neighbor is experienced at this sort of thing. I'm sure my husband and I could figure it out, but it's nice having somebody nearby that knows what they're about.

Yeah, I know, but thankfully, our neighbor is experienced at this sort of thing.
Be aware that if those other units were vented just using pellet vent and a dedicated gas vent like b-vent ect. You will be spending more on the chimneys than you did on the stoves.

Be aware that if those other units were vented just using pellet vent and a dedicated gas vent like b-vent ect. You will be spending more on the chimneys than you did on the stoves.

We've already been warned by the neighbor that it's going to be expensive. But I think all this mess will pay for itself in 2-3 years. We're budgeting for another $1500 for installation. I didn't expect to find those stoves so inexpensive. Found the vendor by accident. We were originally expecting to pay at least 3 grand just for the stoves.

We've already been warned by the neighbor that it's going to be expensive. But I think all this mess will pay for itself in 2-3 years. We're budgeting for another $1500 for installation.
I dont know any of the details of your install but if you are talking about 2 all new class a chimneys $1500 sounds pretty low.

I dont know any of the details of your install but if you are talking about 2 all new class a chimneys $1500 sounds pretty low.
*shrug* It costs what it costs. The guy helping with the install is getting a discount for parts from a vendor he knows in town.

*shrug* It costs what it costs. The guy helping with the install is getting a discount for parts from a vendor he knows in town.
If you are getting free help, and parts at cost or from a big box store then $1500 would easily buy 2 chimney systems on a single story house.

If you are getting free help, and parts at cost or from a big box store then $1500 would easily buy 2 chimney systems on a single story house.

Thanks. Trying to get a hold of the neighbor now to get a ball park figure. He's not free, I'll probably end up having to feed him for 6 months or so...lol

Thanks. Trying to get a hold of the neighbor now to get a ball park figure. He's not free, I'll probably end up having to feed him for 6 months or so...lol
See if he likes beer. That always helps!

Before cutting holes and running pipe, feel free to run plans by the folks here. It costs a whole lot less to do it right once than to have to redo things later. Sketch it out on paper and include some photos if possible. Ask questions, that's why we're here.

For the wood, pine will dry and burn quickly. Don't split it all too small except for the kindling. Thicker splits will slow down the burn.

Reactions: Hesta and webby3650
Thanks for all the suggestions so far, especially the beer part...lol...he drinks beer, and so does my husband, but I'm a Dewar's kind of girl. Saw a Duravent thru the wall kit at Home Depot for $299, so that will mostly take care of the first floor stove except for elbows and pipe, but can you paint that stuff black, and what with? Not a big fan of the shiny look.

Before cutting holes and running pipe, feel free to run plans by the folks here. It costs a whole lot less to do it right once than to have to redo things later. Sketch it out on paper and include some photos if possible. Ask questions, that's why we're here.

For the wood, pine will dry and burn quickly. Don't split it all too small except for the kindling. Thicker splits will slow down the burn.

Holes are already cut, just need to be enlarged. Question, though...the owner's manuals on both require a 15 ft chimney. The lower floor currently has 36" of vertical pipe, then a 90 degree elbow, then a 15 degree elbow, then about 10" of pipe to the wall. Once it gets thru the wall, it will 90 again, and go straight up. I'm going to try to get rid of that 15 degree elbow, and put on an outside air pipe just in case, but how much higher does it need to be to make up for that horizontal run? And where does the 15 ft start from? The stove or the floor?

Top floor is easy, straight run into the thimble. Existing thimble will need replaced.

We have always split our wood large. And it's so darn dry and hot here in the summer, dry wood won't be an issue once it's split, but wood cutting isn't allowed here til May (stupid townies get stuck in the snow). We'll have to buy some already seasoned. We just had a bad forest fire last summer, and dirty wood doesn't bother me any, so there's plenty laying around.

Last edited:
001.jpg 002.jpg Trying to post a pic. Might make a mess of it. Hideous color green room is the first floor. Green room propane stove. Other one is second floor pellet. Pellet stove from the front, the pipe runs straight.

Last edited:
. . .We're going to have to burn pine, cause that's all there is up here. Thanks for any input!
Start with small loads, until you get the hang of how these EPA stoves burn, which is fast & hot in many cases.

Last edited:
Are both floor chimney pipes 6" to which the 4" stove pipe runs through an increaser to the 6"? If so, that's good. If not, that chimney and wall or ceiling exit will need to be redone.

If the downstairs wall thimble is for 6" then consider coming up from the stove a short distance of say 18", then a 45 elbow to a straight diagonal section connecting to another 45 at the wall thimble. There are offset charts supplied by the stove pipe mfg. that will help measure the offset.

Pellet stove is noisy, you can't cook on it, or put water on it for humidity.
Air sealing is needed if your house gets to dry in winter, believe it or not, the woodstove does not dry the air out, if anything the woodstove helps with keeping moisture since warm air can hold more humidity, cold air seeping in is dry and that's what causes the drop in house humidity.

I would concentrate on your 'primary' downstairs wood stove first. Get that installed, get it running and see what you think. Working on 2 stove installs would stress me out.

Good luck..welcome :)