1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Just for Harley

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by DonCT, Oct 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonCT

DonCT Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Just proving to you I'm making progress on finally finishing my install :coolsmirk:

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k104/sundedo/Fire/almost2.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k104/sundedo/Fire/almost.jpg

Just need to finish the ceiling of the alcove, paint the final finish on the main living room walls, trim in the ceiling box and clean up the grout residue. On the residue note, I got some of that acid stuff from HD and tried it on a small spot in the back. Works like a charm!!! Just have to do the rest of the tile :)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. CountryGal

CountryGal Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Mojave Desert California
    Don, what paint treatment are you doing to the walls? Is that ragged? I'm thinking of trying the Sherwin Wms suede on my one painted wall in the living room.
  3. DonCT

DonCT Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    It's Ralph Lauren Desert Suede. I didn't pick the color. The people that owned the place before me painted it. I do like it, but it's a pain in the arse to finish. On a fresh wall, one base coat with a roller. Let dry atleast 4 hrs, then use a 4 in. brush making small X's to give the texture.

I was alittle perturbed about the paint I got to finish my alcove wall. I took the original paint into HD and asked for a gallon of the SAME paint. When I got home and begain painting, I noticed that it was alittle lighter in shade. I thought it might dry alittle darker, but it didn't. So I need to atleast do another brush coat on the rest of my walls to get it to match. If you look close, you can see the difference in the pictures.
  4. CountryGal

CountryGal Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Mojave Desert California
    I think it will look great when you finish. I am going to try the suede myself. Right now the wall is just painted off white. Boring.
  5. DonCT

DonCT Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Hehehe, I know what you mean. I've got some plain beige walls that I'm thinking about doing a lighter shade of the suede.

The other thing that I'm finding out I'm not that happy with is the ceiling box. Because of the angle at which the chimney comes down at, the box sits very far out of the ceiling. They also cut out part of the box to try and fit closer to the pipe, but it makes it look like crap. Does anyone have any suggestions on a better way to finish this connection? I only need the box to help maintain clearance, since the rest of the chimney system is strapped and supported by the ceiling joists.

I can take closer pictures when I get home.
  6. Harley

Harley Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ashfield, MA
    Alright, Don!!!!

Looks great!!!! I also like that wood trim/mantle up above. Glad to hear that acid stuff worked on the tile.

When you have everything completely wrapped up, you can have the official "grand opening" for the stove and invite us all down there for a few beers!!!!!
  7. DonCT

DonCT Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    I've got Oktoberfest in the fridge, but by that time it will be the Winter Lager ;)
  8. ourhouse

ourhouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Norfolk Ma
    That looks GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice job
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.