Just visited two dealers.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karl

Minister of Fire
Apr 9, 2007
Huntington, West Virginia
I just got back from visiting two dealers in the area. The first one is still a dealer but he said he's kinda getting out of the business because he can't find anyone to install them.

The second one, was very nice and had some stoves and inserts on display. I got to see the PE summit stove and the smaller PE insert. I am really leaning towards the PE summit insert. One thing I noticed and didn't really like was the gold door. I have brass accents through out my house and was hoping to get a gold doored stove. The problem I saw was that the gold on the summit looked kinda washed out. It wasn't nearly as bright as on other stoves. Also the gold seemed to be different shades from door to door. They had one summit that was used and I actually liked the gold on it better. Has anybody else noticed this? I asked the sales girl and she said you could polish it.

Also, there price was $3200 installed and $2600 for just the stove with a gold door. Is this a normal price. I know there are alot of PE summit owners here. Can you guys tell me when you bought yours, how much you paid, and is it an insert or a free standing?

I did a brand of stove I fell in love with. They're Scan stoves. I really love the contemporary look they have. Unfortunately, I think they only make one insert and its really small. Are there any other manufacturers that make large contemporary inserts?
thanks

Karl

The price increase for install probably includes a liner kit which can be expensive.

This may be a stupid comment, Karl, but myself not knowing how the PE's look in person, or how they may be set up in the showroom or assembled.... could the "gold trim" part have some sort of shipping or protective tape still on some of the doors that you looked at? Sometimes that stuff just kind of blends in, and you almost don't even notice its there, but gives the finish a "hazy" look until you peel it off - maybe even the person in the showroom didn't know it might have been on it.

That's only a guess on my part, only because I wouldn't think there would be a lot of changes in the actual color or finish of the trim between a few years, and I wouldn't expect an older moder would have a gold finish more bright than a newer one. - even with polishing.

Harley said:
This may be a stupid comment, Karl, but myself not knowing how the PE's look in person, or how they may be set up in the showroom or assembled.... could the "gold trim" part have some sort of shipping or protective tape still on some of the doors that you looked at? Sometimes that stuff just kind of blends in, and you almost don't even notice its there, but gives the finish a "hazy" look until you peel it off - maybe even the person in the showroom didn't know it might have been on it.

That's only a guess on my part, only because I wouldn't think there would be a lot of changes in the actual color or finish of the trim between a few years, and I wouldn't expect an older moder would have a gold finish more bright than a newer one. - even with polishing.

Very likely you are right Harley given previous testimony here that the PE doors are shipped seperately and added at the dealer's place.

Well, I didn't pick at with my fingers or anything but I did open and close the doors a few times and didn't notice a protective film on it. Hmmm. I'm going to another one tomorrow and I'll pick at them a bit and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.