1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. My2crazygirls

My2crazygirls New Member

Hello. We have a Kent Tile Fire from the 80's. It was in the house we bought 4 years ago. We actually didn't touch it until last winter (after we had chimney inspected of course) and used it a handful of times.

My question is, can you put a kettle on top of it to warm up water? Is it possible the top gets hot enough to cook something? I didn't try or even think about it when we used it, and it's 92 degrees now so I am not about to do it today! Any thoughts? In an emergency can I heat food up on it???

Thanks!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    "Warm up" may be the accurate word there!

If, however, you can remove the grate from the top and set something right on the steel of the stove, it would be better. Then you can boil, cook, etc.

As it stands it's a bread warmer.
  3. My2crazygirls

My2crazygirls New Member

Thank you for the reply. I just looked through the old paperwork it came with. It boasts a "large cook top." I am thinking I can lift the front half of the grate up....seems a little stuck now but I will try to pry it up and see what happens. They show pictures with a tea kettle on top but the grate is not propped up.
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    You can gently simmer on top of the grate or put a steamer there to slowly release moisture into the room. But for cooking or bringing a pot to a boil you will need to have directly on the stove top.