1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Leaking chimney

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by BrianN, May 19, 2013.

1. BrianN

BrianN Member

Loc:
    Central BC
    I noticed yesterday, as the rain was pouring down, that there was a small puddle of "dirty" water under the Tee in my chimney.
    Is this a normal thing?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Hogwildz

Hogwildz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    Not normal. Should be not water coming in anywhere around the stack.
    PapaDave likes this.
  3. webby3650

webby3650 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    Yes, it is "normal". It would not be normal if it is happening everytime it rains though. In a heavy downpour, some rain is able to be driven in the cap and down the flue. This won't happen to every set-up, but some are in just the right location for this to happen.
  4. Hogwildz

Hogwildz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    One time, or every time, if you have water coming down your stack, time to seal a leak or get a different style cap.
    PapaDave likes this.
  5. webby3650

webby3650 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    Sometimes It just happens.
  6. BrianN

BrianN Member

Loc:
    Central BC
    Okay. It is not raining today, and didn't rain yesterday. But, it is dripping, and pretty good too. A drip every 10 seconds or so. Plus, the garage (where the Tee is) smells like wet, burnt wood.
    I will be calling the installer tomorrow (as today is a holiday) and getting him out here to fix it. I am just worried that there may be some thing serious.
  7. Sprinter

Sprinter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Washington
    I'm wondering if it's condensation from burning wood. This would happen if the flue gasses are not hot enough to keep the water vapor from condensing on the inside. Especially if the wood is not properly seasoned to around 20% moisture content. Are you burning well seasoned wood and burning hot enough?

Also, liquid creosote could drip like that.
  8. BrianN

BrianN Member

Loc:
    Central BC
    That was actually going to be my next question.
    I am not burning hot right now, as the temp is down to 2C, and not cold enough to crank it up. Maybe I will open all the doors and windows and crank the stove up.
    Also, my wood, I'm sure isn't the best. But, it is pretty good.
    So, right now, I am going to fill 'er full with the pine beetle kill wood, and crank it up. See what happens with that.
  9. Sprinter

Loc:
    SW Washington
    If that chimney is full of creosote, and it might be, be very careful of starting a chimney fire now. May be a good idea to inspect first...
  10. alforit

alforit Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western Washington

If I remember right you just had this whole setup installed a couple weeks ago ....and you had another issue with the stovepipe......I think a call is in order to the installers to come out and check this installation.
  11. BrianN

BrianN Member

Loc:
    Central BC
    I have an e-mail into the shop that sold me the chimney, and set up for the installer. He is a contractor used by the stove shop.
    But, as Sprinter has mentioned, I do believe the leaking may be caused by "not quite seasoned" wood. I thought it was seasoned, but, guess I was wrong. I put in some beetle kill pine, and leaking has stopped.
  12. jdp1152

jdp1152 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts

You should ALWAYS burn hot. The firebox need not be filled to have a hot fire. I would also refrain from having a fire until you inspect what inside that flue.
  13. Sprinter

Loc:
    SW Washington
    True. I've been making small, hot fires a lot recently. Just make sure the flue temps are hot enough to prevent creosote and that the secondaries are burning.

How does that chimney look inside? Any buildup?