Leave pilot lit or turn all the way off for an occasionally used gas insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

laxin213

Burning Hunk
Sep 18, 2014
Buffalo NY
Hello all,

I have a GDZIC-N Napoleon gas fireplace insert installed in the finished basement of the house I moved into about a year ago. The insert was installed just before we bought it by a good local stove shop. My question is in the title - if I occasionally use it , say once every 10 - 14 days, is it okay to leave the pilot light lit from like October to say February ? Or should I be completely turning it to off and re- lighting it between each use?

Thanks!

What kind of flue arrangement?

The insert is vented through a chimney it shares with another fireplace upstairs. It is in what I understabd to be like a seperate chamber of the chimney, at the top there is its own round metal cap and from. What I understand it stays open all the time

Your call. If you keep the pilot lit, it WILL burn fuel - 800 - 1000 BTU per hour.
It will keep the firebox somewhat warm & also keep a small amount of chimney draft moving, too.
If you turn it off, the box will get cold. Any warm air in the same room will enter the heat exchanger area,
cool & drop down & exit thru the blower cavity creating a cold draft.
There is no harm in leaving the pilot running.

I usually leave my pilot on from 1 November to 1 March. As DAKSY said it does cost a little bit but I think it's worth it.

I leave mine on 9 months a year Keeps the flu warm and stove warm. When you light the fire you wont have steamed up glass and moisture inside of stove rust etc. Furenace piolet stays on year around. Natural gas.

If you turn it off your insert will get ice cold
If you leave it on your insert will be room temperature
I leave mine on
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.