1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Let me see your rack!

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Remmy122, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Remmy122

Remmy122 New Member

Loc:
    East NC
    So the other day I look out the window and the Mrs Remmy is looking at my wood pile.... this cant be good. She wants the wood cut this winte to go into racks instead of on pallets. Im ok with this since right now theyre not single rows. So let me see your rack! Trying to decide what we want it to look like.

Also, My math is crap and Im tired... So if some one can make it easy, How long will I need to make a 4ft tall rack equal a cord? lets say the splits are 16" (most closer to 18" and if I cut it 20").

(and on an unrelated note, Mrs Remmy just accepted a job offer after being unemployed for 18 months! Now I can buy all the wood processing toys I want!)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Congrats on the new job! To answer your question 24' single rows if 4' high and 16" wide.
  3. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

I am sure you have seen mine... But I will post again.. They are "Rutland" "Stack-n-Store" Rack brackets.. I got them from www.northlineexpress.com

I made them 12 ft long, by 4.5 ft tall.. at an 18" average split size.. Its about .63 Cord (Little over half/about 5/8 cord)... Added some landscaping timbers around the whole area and then some river rock to top it off.. Cost a few bucks to do it.. But in the end, it looks alright.

Attached Files:

4. littlalex

littlalex Member

Loc:
    Hewitt, NJ
    Looks like a wood farm...nice!

Littlalex
  5. Adabiviak

Adabiviak Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Sierra Nevadas, California
    Is that a propane tank I see tucked between the racks there?
  6. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Yep... My way of sticking it to "The Man" (Propane Man that is..) That tank was for the garage/shop. My garage is almost 50' x 50'. Split in half. Half is a 3 car garage-Half shop. LP tank for the house is on the opposite end.
  7. blujacket

blujacket Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Carrollton,Ohio
    DexterDay, If you have a Menards near, the stack n' stores are $11.99. Just picked some up couple days ago.
  8. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    Who would show pictures of their wood racks after DexterDay posts those lazer-straight stacks? Even if I had a rack I wouldn't embarrass myself.
  9. Stump_Branch

Stump_Branch Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MD
    I say whats wrong with pallets?

Right now ours is double stacked, two rows deep on a pallet, inbetween the poplar tress on the sidw on the house. Nice part is they make a useable fence. Love to stack it 8ft to get some privacy...

Congrats on the job, even though she already knew that...
  10. Stax

Stax Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeastern PA
    Got 3 of the large racks in the yard...building a 4th. The smaller rack sits on the porch right outside back door for convenience.

Attached Files:

11. Stax

Stax Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeastern PA
    Arial shot.

Attached Files:

12. jimbom

jimbom Combustion Analyzer

Loc:
    Missouri Ozarks
    That propane tank in the firewood storage area is one of my all time favorite pictures.
  13. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Mine is heated!

Attached Files:

14. Stax

Stax Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeastern PA
    That's sweet smokin.
  15. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Pretty sad when a thread titled like this doesn't leave more guys more disappointed . . . heck, most folks are downright excited to see these racks. ;) :)
  16. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Thanks, it holds a cord of wood and I used 2x2..... ;-) (4 year's old)
  17. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    How about a rack made of pallets?
    [​IMG]
    There's another propane tank for ya.
    [​IMG]
    I'll ask Mrs. Flatbeford if I can post her rack here.
  18. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    You want me to post it? :lol:
  19. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    No cost involved in building these. Each one holds 2 cord. Originally I planned on one cord (takes 3 rows to make a cord) but was running out of space so just added on to one end. Under each stack are two poles that we cut in the woods. Most are around 4" diameter. I usually cut just a few each year as after a few years they get a bit punky and break apart. Also, I usually end up cutting the soft maple saplings and they don't last too long but we have lots of them. Galvanized roofing is used for covers and those cost nothing as they are from old farm buildings that were torn down.

[​IMG]
  20. ISeeDeadBTUs

ISeeDeadBTUs Guest

I aint sayin nuthin'. What I've seen of Mrs Flatbed leads me to believe that I would enjoy seeing her rack posted here. . . if she ever allows it ;-)
  21. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    You would. :coolsmile:
  22. Remmy122

Remmy122 New Member

Loc:
    East NC
    Nothing wrong with pallets, and nothing wrong with racks made from pallets. I just have no clue how much wood I have or how to calculate I burn in a year, mainly due to laziness.

I like what Im seeing, and I also see that alot of folks are using the store bought brackets. My only concern is that my property has a slow slope and dont know if Ill be able to correct the slope with those buggers. Id also like to get the wood up off the ground a bit more than the pallet (and from what I see the store bought brackets) allow.
  23. joecool85

joecool85 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Maine
    I used pallets. Two pallets on the bottom, two pallets on the back, one on each side, 2 x 4 on the front at an angle on each side to hold it together. Holds 2/3 cord stacked 4.5' high or so. I have two built and plan on having 6 total when I'm done. The rest of my wood is on railroad ties right now. No pics because I'm lazy, and it's also a mess lol. Once I get all my racks done maybe I'll share some pics.
  24. Iembalm4aLiving

Iembalm4aLiving Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    N.E. Ohio

LOL!
  25. maplewood

maplewood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NB Canada
    My hardwood is air dried on pallets.
    [​IMG]

I tried stacking my softwood the same way, but found it got a bit moldy with so much rain.
    So I just build a free pallet woodshed, and plan to build a couple more. 1.2 cord/shed.
    [​IMG]

Hope you post pics of your project!