Let the Mansfield go cold for the first time yesterday.........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NH_Wood

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 24, 2009
southern NH
Woke up yesterday to 67* in the house. Was going to hit the upper 40's with lots of sun, so didn't start a morning fire for the first time since November. Solar gain got the sun room very hot by 12pm, opened the door from sun room to house, and by 2pm, house at 76*. By 11pm, house down to 69*, so, with higher temps predicted for today and plenty of sun, I didn't start a night fire either. Woke up this morning to 60* in the house - pretty chilly. But, I'm not starting a fire, because by early afternoon, I'll have the house back into the mid-70's using the sun room. Fleece jackets for a few hours this morning should do the trick. Looks like the next several days are going to be similar, so........might have a couple night fires to wake up to a warmer house, but might just take a break and let the stove sit. Feels strange to see the stove sitting cold - it's been a long time! I guess the northeast might be finally getting toward some kind of spring weather, but I'm sure there will be some more burning before it's officially time to give the stone a summer respite. Cheers!

Congrats, should be right there with you a month from now.

SolarAndWood said:
Congrats, should be right there with you a month from now.

Oh brother! Good luck! I felt that way too about a week ago, but the weather seems to have finally changed a bit. Supposed to have some low temps near 50* in the next week or so. Cheers!

No luck required, it is a very predictable game ;-)

70 in a few days, Solar. Cant wait. Fishin much less fun when your freezing your arse off.

Dry and 50 is just fine with me but I won't complain about 70.

NH, is this a typical Spring for you? i.e. letting the stove cold the first week of April?

SolarAndWood said:
Dry and 50 is just fine with me but I won't complain about 70.

NH, is this a typical Spring for you? i.e. letting the stove cold the first week of April?

Solar - first full year burning, but I would have been in the same boat last year I think - it was a more mild winter and spring came a little sooner. Don't get me wrong, last night was pretty cool - and 59* in the house right now. Wife not too happy - probably should keep a night fire in the works so the house in in the upper 60's by the time we wake up and let the solar do its job during the day. Cheers!

Two days ago the temperature was in the mid 60s and I had the doors and windows open. Of course, I didn't light up the stove. Yesterday it snowed an inch and it's 25 now. Needless to say, the stove is cranking out heat this morning again.

Wood Heat Stoves said:
Two days ago the temperature was in the mid 60s and I had the doors and windows open. Of course, I didn't light up the stove. Yesterday it snowed an inch and it's 25 now. Needless to say, the stove is cranking out heat this morning again.

Yes - it's that time of year when some days are fine without a fire and some days need a hot stove! Cheers!

I think we are done burning here in the tropics of VA. Thirties at night and we get no solar gain downstairs in the daytime but I think it will be just toss a couple of bucks a day to the electric company to knock the chill off with space heaters from here on out.

Edit! Okay - wife NOT happy with the house at 59* still and waiting for the solar to heat the house at ~ noon. Was just informed that night fires are REQUIRED if the house will be at this temp in the am! Cheers!

It looks like we'll be letting the stove go out tomorrow and won't have a fire for a couple days. It will actually seem good for a change. We've burned a lot more wood this year than we have for a while.

NH_Wood said:
Edit! Okay - wife NOT happy with the house at 59* still and waiting for the solar to heat the house at ~ noon. Was just informed that night fires are REQUIRED if the house will be at this temp in the am! Cheers!

She let it get down to 59 ??? Man you ARE lucky. If we get down below 67 or so my wife is wanting a fire..... Needless to say I have yet to have a night without one.

Shawn

shawneyboy said:
NH_Wood said:

She let it get down to 59 ??? Man you ARE lucky. If we get down below 67 or so my wife is wanting a fire..... Needless to say I have yet to have a night without one.

Shawn

Ha! No she didn't knowingly let is get to 59* - I don't think she thought it would get that cold. But, once it did, she sure wasn't happy! Just started our first fire since Wed. night - house temp climbing.......Cheers!

I lied. It has been chilly and raining all day. Just lit off the stove.

BrotherBart said:
I lied. It has been chilly and raining all day. Just lit off the stove.

Ha! I like the feeling of wood heat when you just want to get the chill out - short, hot fire and a nice comfortable house - enjoy BB!

Cheers!

The end is near here. Only 46 and cloudy out. Was thinking about starting up a fire until I saw that
we will hit the 80's on Sunday. Would be too weird going from wood stove to air conditioner in that short
amount of time.

northwinds said:
The end is near here. Only 46 and cloudy out. Was thinking about starting up a fire until I saw that
we will hit the 80's on Sunday. Would be too weird going from wood stove to air conditioner in that short
amount of time.

Agreed! I'm worried we might miss a nice spring and go from cold to hot in short order......Cheers!

Oh how I look forward to next year when the new stove is installed and my biggest worry is "To Light, or not To Light, that is the questions"

Remkel said:
Oh how I look forward to next year when the new stove is installed and my biggest worry is "To Light, or not To Light, that is the questions"

"Natasha we get moose and squirrel then we light new stove."

Well it's official!!!! Last night no fire. This am house at 69. Me thinks the season has come to a close. We are supposed to heat low 80s on Monday. Maybe we will have a night or 2 more with a fire but.... other than that stick a fork in it.

Shawn

Still haven't gone a full day yet without at least one fire in the morning or evening . . . we're getting close though . . . had a couple days this past weekend where I only lit one fire.

Yep...withdrawal has begun....it has been almost 48 hours since my last fire fix...70 degrees in the house this mornin....I am jonesin though...sad to see the poor bugger dark and abandoned...... :-S

My wife lit a fire around 5:00 pm today. It feels chilly outside but not really bad. 35 forecast for the low. We'll keep a small fire tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.