Level or pitch installing a thimble.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dkf5

Nov 22, 2008
Central Upstate New York
Ok here we go. We are replacing an old thimble with of course a new one. Should there be a pitch or should it be level? If it matters it is masonary ( orange in color). Or ceramic or clay, what ever they are made from. Thanks. Donna

While the 1/4" rise rule for stove pipe is fine with me I have never seen a crock (that orange clay pipe you are putting through the wall) that was anything but level.

Thank you for the answer. I love this forum. Soon we will be burning. Have to get the stove situated and then we are set to go. We know about the stovepipe 1/4 rise. Learned that last year when we got the stove hooked up. The one that we are replacing is leaning downward and inward wasn't sure if that was correct. Thanks for getting back to us. Donna

BrotherBart said:
While the 1/4" rise rule for stove pipe is fine with me I have never seen a crock (that orange clay pipe you are putting through the wall) that was anything but level.

totally agree, masons dont know (oops) about proper venting, niether do most local county inspectors...

Status
Not open for further replies.