liner connection question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JMF1

Oct 1, 2006
Rochester NY
When I connected my liner to the stove I used only 1 screw. I couldn't get my hands inside to get more than 1 in, is this going to be ok? It does have the connecting collar on the line where it enters the stove collar. I appreciate any help........

Screws are for suckas anyway. You know, an invention of the man to keep the working guy down. You'll be good. Just keep a check on it.

JMF1 said:
When I connected my liner to the stove I used only 1 screw. I couldn't get my hands inside to get more than 1 in, is this going to be ok? It does have the connecting collar on the line where it enters the stove collar. I appreciate any help........

If it bothers you, you can disconnect the liner, pull the stove out and put the other 2 screws in. Then slide it back into the hearth and attach the liner to the connector using the stainless steel clamp that comes with the stove connector. From what you describe, sounds like you slid the stove into the hearth without first attaching the stove connector and then you reached into the limited space between the hearth and stove and determined you had insufficient access to attach more than one screw......is that right?

Castiron, yes, that's right. the connecter has four screws attaching it to the liner but only one through the actual stove collar into the connector. There is also a bit of "down pressure" from the liner into the collar making it hard to get the connector out of the stove collar.

JMF1 said:
Castiron, yes, that's right. the connecter has four screws attaching it to the liner but only one through the actual stove collar into the connector. There is also a bit of "down pressure" from the liner into the collar making it hard to get the connector out of the stove collar.

Mines different: the stove connector attaches to the stoves casting and there are 3 holes pre-drilled at the factory in the stoves collar. I attach the stove connector to the collar using 3 screws. Then the liner slips into a 6" stainless steel band that's part of the stove collar. I tighten the band and it's done. There are no screws going through my liner.

Check your stove attachment point and look around the circumference of the stove casting collar and see if there aren't 3 holes pre-drilled in the collar. If there are, you can get a stove connector like mine. And I know what you mean...there's downward pressure (due to the weight of the liner) on the stove collar so it's probably not going anywhere but with my set-up, all it takes is loosening the clamp to free the liner as there are no screws through the liner.

My stove collar does have the predrilled holes in it, I just can't reach the other 2. My connector was tough to get onto the liner when we installed it, must be a different design than yours castiron. It also stated to put in at least 3 screws to hold it on the liner. I really don't want to disassemble and drag that monster out if I don't have to, it's a pain! Thanks to the bypass damper I clean it without moving it.

JMF1 said:
My stove collar does have the predrilled holes in it, I just can't reach the other 2. My connector was tough to get onto the liner when we installed it, must be a different design than yours castiron. It also stated to put in at least 3 screws to hold it on the liner. I really don't want to disassemble and drag that monster out if I don't have to, it's a pain! Thanks to the bypass damper I clean it without moving it.

Here's what my connector looks like. Go here:

http://chimneylinerinc.com/

then click on the upper left hand bullet called "stainless steel chimney liners rock flex...." and on the web page it displays, my connector is the left most photo. Note how the liner simply slips into the top stainless steel band (it's an integral part of the connector) and then you push it down until it contacts the connectors top throat. Then all you do is thighten the stainless steel band with a screw driver........

As far as connecting the stove connector to the stove, you fasten the connector to the stoves collar using 3 screws and the key is to do it when the stove is OUTSIDE the hearth where you can have ready access to it and where you can fasten all three screws........then slide the stove into the hearth and reach in and place the liner onto the top of the connectors band and fit it into place and tighten the stainless steel band with a screwdriver....... hope this helps....

With the weight of that liner, realistically, you don't need any screws. But one would be fine I would think. I have a rigid s.s. double wall with 5' of s.s. flex to the adapter. I got 3 scres in it, but it ain't going anywhere anyways. My liner all together is near 200 lbs I believe.

Hogwildz said:
With the weight of that liner, realistically, you don't need any screws. But one would be fine I would think. I have a rigid s.s. double wall with 5' of s.s. flex to the adapter. I got 3 scres in it, but it ain't going anywhere anyways. My liner all together is near 200 lbs I believe.

Hog,

that a typo (200 lbs) or you must have solid, one-piece pipe as opposed to a liner..............no liner, even with insulation weighs anywhere near that.....pipe yes....liner no unless you got 100 feet of it...LOL....

23' double wall insulated rigid connected to 5' flex down to adapter. 28' all together mostly double wall rigid= very heavy ;)

If I ever come acorss the shipping invoice again (buried somewhere), I do believe shipping weight was around 247 lbs with pallet I think. Of course I could be wrong.

Hogwildz said:
23' double wall insulated rigid connected to 5' flex down to adapter. 28' all together mostly double wall rigid= very heavy ;)

If I ever come acorss the shipping invoice again (buried somewhere), I do believe shipping weight was around 247 lbs with pallet I think. Of course I could be wrong.

no need to find it...as I suspected...rigid pipe........hell of a lot of weight....no screws needed for that or minimal number at best......thanks

LOL, you should have seen me installing it section by section top down from the chimney top. Needless to say the lst couple pcs in the dark by flashlight no less, made for a cranky Neanderthal :)

Status
Not open for further replies.