Liner insulation ratings???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burntime

Hearth Supporter
Aug 18, 2006
C'mon hunting season!
I am going to put a liner on my stainless flexible liner, guy sells them says they are UL1777 listed to 2100 degrees, is this the good one?

A bit confusing....

Virtually all stainless steel liners are tested to that standard. That has nothing to do with "insulation", but is rather the capacity of the metal itself to withstand heat.

Insulation, which is a additional material that can be wrapped around the liner, poured in or even sometimes included with the liner (Duraliner) is optional in some installations and required in others. For instance, if the chimney is defective and has a broken liner system or if the chimney is too close to combustibles (wood framing, etc.) and needs to be upgraded to NFPA and UL current standards, then insulation is required.

That makes sense. In my case it is a good condition masonary chimney. The company I bought and paid for installation did not put in the block off plate. Last winter I used rockwool as a mock plate until I could redo it. I get a lot of heat in the chimney chase off the liner...so much that my centrally located chimney radiates heat in the attic and is actually causing ice damning. The insulation is an attempt to keep the heat in the liner. Of course I am doing the block off plate out of metal when I re-do it. Do you think this will help?

Certainly the lack of a block off plate in an insert situation could cause a LOT more heat to go up inside the masonry structure and warm up the masonry. Keeping the heat in the liner will solve a lot of that, and also make the chimney safer if there are defects in it.

FYI every liner I have ever seen only meets UL 1777 WITH the 1/2" insulation wrap. Only exception would be Simpson Duraliner which is pre-insulated. They may be other similar products.

Status
Not open for further replies.