Liner without a chimney???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oldspark said:
I am confused, did I not say the same for every location and he needed to check his own area. I know some codes dont allow it so what are you trying to prove?

I was answering the question on the codes, I was not trying to prove anything. I simply pulled the NH codes, and then the NFPA code it refrences. Sorry if I offended you OS.

oldspark said:
Shawneyboy, not a problem for insurance with many people here on a woodburner in garage, and codes not against it either but we live out in the sticks. Liner without a chimney is all bad.

Not to get off topic but Iowa is unique to many states....

Iowa has multiple kinds of building codes at the state level. The overall process of finding Iowa building codes is rather complicated due to the fact that local jurisdictions can also amend existing state codes. Current or prospective construction, design and engineering professionals should be aware of how to find all building codes in Iowa that are applicable to their local construction projects.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/6143344/how_to_find_iowa_building_codes.html

Shawn

shawneyboy said:
oldspark said:
I am confused, did I not say the same for every location and he needed to check his own area. I know some codes dont allow it so what are you trying to prove?

I was answering the question on the codes, I was not trying to prove anything. I simply pulled the NH codes, and then the NFPA code it refrences. Sorry if I offended you OS.
I was not offended just was not sure what your point was as it had already been mentioned it was against codes in many places. I hope the OP gets it all worked out before he spends any money on his project.

oldspark said:
Never could figure out why it was safe to run a torpedo heater in a shop or weld but a woodburner was not safe.

Really.

Never mind welding or cutting, I set a big roll of 0000 steel wool on fire with sparks off my angle grinder... twice in one day. :red:

I don't grind steel indoors anymore, but I'd have no problem running a stove in my shop. Hey, I do it now. And I have more combustible materials in my workshop than in the average garage for sure.

Battenkiller said:
oldspark said:
Never could figure out why it was safe to run a torpedo heater in a shop or weld but a woodburner was not safe.

Really.

Never mind welding or cutting, I set a big roll of 0000 steel wool on fire with sparks off my angle grinder... twice in one day. :red:

I don't grind steel indoors anymore, but I'd have no problem running a stove in my shop. Hey, I do it now. And I have more combustible materials in my workshop than in the average garage for sure.

I think it is the definition of a shop versus a garage. To me a garage is attached to a dwelling where a shop is not. Now if that is the way the codes define it I don't know.

Shawn

thats interesting stuff. Yeah I don't store gasoline or anything flamable in my garage that isn't in a fireproof metal cabinet on the complete opposite side of the shop.....With that said, I can easily just store that stuff in my shed instead :)

My "shop" is also a good 50 feet away from my house :)

ValentineHill said:
Welcome to woodburning, though! Have you got the wood on hand to burn this season? There's a good number of us woodburners all around the Seacoast. The best man at my wedding grew up in Kingston!

thanks btw

Status
Not open for further replies.