Log Load On The Way

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got word my log load will be here in the morning. I guess it's time to get a chain saw. Is it dangerous?

Is what dangerous? Chainsaws in general? Yes, they are extremely dangerous if not used with caution.

Well you have your work cut out for you now .
Just got to watch for rolling logs
How do you plan to split it ?
I have been 2 weeks bucken and splitting (Hydro) a load
of sugar maple and red oak . Now I have to stack it all .
Defiantly not the fun part. But wood for 2018-19 and part
of 20 now in place love to be well ahead
Have Fun

well joheh I have no idea really. This is a learning experience for me. The wood is going to come in I'm going to buy a chainsaw and see what I can do. I have an axe in the garage i split with all winter but those were already split. So I'm pretty much going to process it by hand. The guy told me I should get 20 face cords out of one of his loads. No idea what I'm in for really ...

I don't have enough wood for this season right now either. But I do have close to 2 cords I think which is a lot better than where I was last year. This wood coming is my attempt to streamline getting ahead a couple years. I'm going to be looking at a big pile of wood that isn't even two years worth. I have a couple trees to cut down here too and I will start scrounging. OK who am I kidding I have to process the wood I have before I scrounge haha.

Since you are a chainsaw newbie...but tacking a big job, go to a local dealer and let them recommend something. Do not just buy the biggest one at Home Depot.

I was looking at a 20" one at home depot. My biggest concern is I don't want to be frustrated if the bar is too short...I am not going to spring for a larger bar but it makes sense they actually would be safer to use because you spend less time with the bar buried in the log. I don't know what I'm doing though! I don't know what the logs look like I will be cutting either.

Have them safely pile the logs no higher than 2 tall. You don't want to be learning how to cut and then die under a log shifting weight.

I'd say you'd want at least a 20" bar.

Well I'm going to be very careful about that stuff...I hope I can move one of these logs by myself somehow. I will get it in a good place to cut ... I don't see me standing on top of wood piles cutting with the chainsaw until I know what I'm doing ... and then the trouble will start!

I haven't seen a mention of chainsaw chaps? 36 stitches in my left leg says ya need chaps.

Have him stack it low, have him lay several sleepers underneath to keep the stacks off the ground. An 18" bar will be plenty.

Oh yeah, chaps, gloves, safety glasses or face shield if you would rather.
I'd wait till fall to cut & split, but that is up to you.

Reactions: Bigg_Redd
I think it has to do with sweating.

For sure. 30 years ago when I moved here from Texas I was splitting by hand in July and the neighbors thought I was nuts. Over the years I have acclimated, and gotten old, and it is only in Spring or Fall these days.

Reactions: wpgibson
I would really recommend you get someone to work with you for a day or a few hours to give you some guidance. I would hate to hurt myself or the new chainsaw on the 1st job. You need a basic understanding of how to safely operate these tools. Safest/fastest way is with an experienced person.

ENJOY!

Reactions: TommyTally
You don't want to be standing on the pile. Get a peavy, or cant hook, or whatever they call it, and go to the end of the pile so you're out of the way, hook onto a log and roll it down. The log doesn't necessarily have to be on the ground, and if there are sleepers it won't be, but your feet should be.

darn truck sunk right into my lawn but she's here!

Attachments

• 20150703_093302.jpg
    20150703_093302.jpg
    631.4 KB · Views: 752
What did that cost?

My last load was mostly ash. It split easy (with hydraulic splitter). It's the stack in front. :)
20150703_101905_resized.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
where abouts in cny? Oswego county here. and 20 inch bar is fine remember that will get you through a 40 inch diameter and I guarantee nothing on that truck is that big.

Status
Not open for further replies.