Long Flue - should it impact my choice of stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleTea

Dec 14, 2016
North Carolina
I'm searching the forums, trying to read as much as possible. One thread that caught my eye was a discussion on flue length and the poster having difficulty controlling fire within their stove. Ours will need to be about 20-25ft, should this length be a special consideration and therefore limit my search to particular brand or type of stove? We originally were leaning towards a Lopi but was concerned when I read the poster having issues with Lopi and their tall flue.

I have a lopi non cat insert with a 25 foot flue. It's an outside Chimney with a singlewall UNinsulated liner and i dont have issues with too much draft. I plan on insulating it for better performance but dont think I'll dramatically increase my draft. 20-25ft seems like a good length. Anything short and you might have draft/backpuffing issues. Manual says anything longer than 30-33ft might be too long.

Reactions: LittleTea
20-25 ft is pretty common for a 2 story installation. What stove or insert are you specifically considering?

Might be a good idea to have a stove pipe damper installed if there is concern about high draft. During mild weather it might remain open, but it would be there and closable if necessary in very cold weather.

Will know to at least discuss this with installer just to be sure. One thing I've learned through many home improvements is to come as informed as possible!

Love my Lopi Evergreen. Don't have a chimney any where near that tall. I have about 12 ft of double walled stove pipe and double walled chimney. Drafts fine, may get another section of double walled chimney to get to 15 ft. Can load some long splits E/W, N/S loading needs to be 13 inches or smaller.

Reactions: LittleTea
Status
Not open for further replies.