LONGEST DAY

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RWA6541

Jan 13, 2010
BRONX, NY
How do you celebrate the Summer Solstice?

Get up, go to work, come home, go to bed................................

Get up. Don't go to work. Stay home. Go to bed.

Some people around here drive up to Eagle Summit on the Steese Highway, where the sun doesn't set at all on June 21st. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_Summit_(Alaska)
Some people go to the all-night street festival in downtown Fairbanks, and listen to music, buy from the food booths and the vendors of trinkets and such. There's a midnight baseball game, the Midnight Sun Fun Run (often run in costume) starts at 10 pm, there's a music festival up in Chatinika. Summer and winter solstice are both noteworthy events here because our extremes in weather and daylight are so much governed by the light. It's normal here to be out cutting the lawn at 11 in the summer, or working in the garden in the middle of the night. Sleeping is for wintertime.

It's birthday week at our house--my daughter tomorrow and my son on Sunday--so it's a very, very busy week here.

birthday week in your house minus nine monthes puts you in 24/7 darkness?? nothing else to do but bother the wife? i'd like to see the summer solstice there once before i croak.

Some people dance naked around a big bonfire.

Some people ride their bikes nude around the North Pole.

The nude thing in Alaska is not recommended, mosquitoes would have a field day. :)
Here it starts getting dark around 1:30 AM & starts getting light around 2:30 AM.
Not really dark dark unless it's cloudy, more like dusk.

Think I'll go fishing. Save going to bed until winter.

Heading out fishing now, will be back tomorrow. Will shut the boat down, have a few beer and sandwiches at 1:30 am and pull anchor to start fishin again by 2:30 am. Be home by 5 am and go to work. Just had a 2hr nap. Ready to goooooooooo.

Diesel Smoke said:
birthday week in your house minus nine monthes puts you in 24/7 darkness?? nothing else to do but bother the wife? i'd like to see the summer solstice there once before i croak.

well . . . something like that . . . :)

Shoot me a PM if you ever decide life is too short not to go forth and carpe diem (or carpe carp--seize the fish) and you whistle up the brown dog and do a road trip up the Alcan. I'd love to hear about the life of a woodburner in the Bronx.

"Get up, go to work, come home, go to bed."

Ditto

-Soupy1957

Nothing different about today as yesterday or tomorrow for me. Just means that in a few months it will be cold and dark is all.

Diesel Smoke said:

Pray the YANKEES get some better pitching, even better just beat BOSTON!

GO YANKS
Zap

Just like today, thank God for another day.

Snowleopard, I've sort of had a hankering to be in your area sometime on the first day of summer. The only time I've been there though so far was in August. It was still very nice but I did not stay up to see when it got dark. These days sleep seems more important to me. However, I do hope that some day before I leave this earth that I can be there to see some northern lights from your angle. They have always fascinated me and I hope they always do.

Where we live now we rarely see them but when we lived in Michigan's Upper Peninsula we saw some awesome shows. Dang, I miss being up there....

I spent it dancing around naked around an unlit pile of wood . . . . I mean you wouldn't expect me to waste my wood by burning it up now in the Summer right? :) . . . The way I see it, we're now on the back half and sliding back towards the cooler burning weather . . . (granted we should hopefully have many days of nice, hot summer weather first) . . . but that said . . . it's time to get cracking on getting 2011-2012's wood put up and start working on next season's wood.

zapny said:
Diesel Smoke said:

Pray the YANKEES get some better pitching, even better just beat BOSTON!

GO YANKS
Zap

Zap, keep praying They ain't ever catching Boston this year LOL

Franks said:
rottiman said:

Same, unless its on a Sunday. On a Sunday its wake up get nagged go to bed.

It makes me sad to hear you say that Frank. I'll try giving you a little more space on sundays.

Delta-T said:
Franks said:
rottiman said:

Same, unless its on a Sunday. On a Sunday its wake up get nagged go to bed.

It makes me sad to hear you say that Frank. I'll try giving you a little more spongebath time on sundays.

Thanks Delta, your the best.

;-) , thats supposed to be on the Down Low there buddy....now everyones gonna want some-a-this.

I am glad when the longest day of the year comes because I know that soon it will get dark earlier so when I go to bed at about 8 pm it will be dark...hate goin to bed when it is still light out..Freakin hate it....

I heard that the thru-hikers on the Appalachian trail get naked and hike rambo style for a few miles.

I am seeing a pattern here,....with the naked stuff...I guess I did not celebrate the longest day in the appropriate "fashion"... :p ...will make a mental note for next year...

GAMMA RAY said:
I am glad when the longest day of the year comes because I know that soon it will get dark earlier so when I go to bed at about 8 pm it will be dark...hate goin to bed when it is still light out..Freakin hate it....

Gama, just dont go to bed then. There is lots of time for that in the winter. Take up fishin or something.
Cheers

north of 60 said:
GAMMA RAY said:

Gama, just dont go to bed then. There is lots of time for that in the winter. Take up fishin or something.
Cheers

I am very very :snake: cranky when I don't get enough beauty sleep......I wish I could live on just a few hours....BTW...I love fishin...have not been in a while....have a huge pond across the street...you need a "connection" to fish there....Gonna work on that....I don't foresee a problem...I can be very persuasive .... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.